• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

X1800XT or 7900GT?

Associate
Have been pondering on a new card for a while now and was looking into the 7800 range and then all of a sudden the 7900 range appears and are a hell of a lot cheaper that the 7900's.

Then I spot the X1800XT on OCUK deal of the week...... what should I go for the 7900GT or X1800XT, the obvious difference is pipelines of which the 7900GT has more but I know ATI cards do things differently with shaders etc.

Help me out guys, your opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Chris :D

Soldato
differences are price, heat output, wattage needed, and ATI can do adaptive AA(?).

the 7900GT can clock higher if yo uvolt mod, add a pricey cooler and basically spend £250 instead of the £170 of the ATI. if your willing to spend £250 then i'd look at the X1900XTs then and spend a bit more. ;)

the ATI does run hotter and needs more volts according to reviews.

Soldato
ATi for oblivion , if only for HDR & AA. I played oblivion on a 1900Xt, and with AA & HDR on, it didnt run that well tbh , horses for corses m8. ATi cards are cheaper an offer good performance.. X1800Xt being very good value. I choose 7900Gt cause you can clocks the nobs of it :D

Associate
OP
Lanz said:
If your playing Oblivion, then go for the x1800xt, as Nvidia sucks with it.

I know the ATI card and do AA and HDR at the same time which with Oblivion is on obvious advantage but I'm not going to be playing Oblivion for ever...... which is why I'm asking the question.

Thanks for the reply :)

Chris

Associate
wellibob said:
ATi for oblivion , if only for HDR & AA. I played oblivion on a 1900Xt, and with AA & HDR on, it didnt run that well tbh , horses for corses m8. ATi cards are cheaper an offer good performance.. X1800Xt being very good value. I choose 7900Gt cause you can clocks the nobs of it :D

I can play oblivion with a 6600 at 640x480 and it runs perfectly.
Then again havent got all the extras on, depends on what you want i suppose

Associate
Goksly said:
You'll have to forgive Goksly, tends to be a bit prone to moments of unhelpfulness from time to time. :D

Seriously Goksly, we've had this out before and if you can't be arsed to post then why bother?

Suspended
mtjdavis said:

I think most people around here would want to run a lot higher resolution than that! Especially so with TFT/LCD monitors.

Soldato
If you plan to volt-mod, grab a 7900GT. If not, grab an X1800XT for cheaper.

As for Oblivion, aside from HDR+AA, the game is naturally very ATi biased, particularly in outdoors environments.

Associate
OP
mtjdavis said:

Well my rig at present is;

AMD 64 3000+ (clocked to 3500)
X800XT
2Gb RAM

It runs fine with the settings on high and I love it however my reasons for wanting a new card and not solely greed!!!

I have just moved into my first home and with morgate payments of over £500 a month a have very little cash.... however I have a few hundred stashed away and I want to buy a new card before that gets spent on some other crap like a new hoover or something!!!! as I know once that stash of cash is gone I wont be getting an upgrade for quite some time!

Cheers

Soldato
zytok, how was listing threads which answer his question unhelpful?
also, in the time it took to make his post, he could have searched.... I dont see whats wrong with pointing that out.

Back
Top Bottom