Bugger (56k warning)

Associate
dscf7778.jpg

My wife called me up this morning to tell me my car had been broken into. I returned home to sort it out and found it's not as serious as that. It looks like someone was mowing the lawn next to my driveway and flicked a stone through the window. Ya probebly can't make out from the picture, but the grass is only cut along the left side of the lawn. It looks to me like they had just started when they broke the window, they then packed up and left before anyone saw them.

I'm a bit miffed that the guy did a runner. The lawn is in a common area on a block of flats so I've only got to ask the council who they contract to look after the lawns. I'm sure he'll deny all knowledge but I've given a statement to the local police to cover my bases. My mechanic estimates £110 to replace the window (£70 for the window, £40 for labour). I'm gonna check with my insurance company tonight to see if this comes under my windscreen cover. Does anyone know from experience if this will effect my premiums?

Pug

Pug

Soldato
if its windscreen cover, then no, it didnt with mine on elephant.co.uk

however, if it doesnt come under windscreen, and you claim (would be a bit silly really to do so) then yep, it would count as a claim

Soldato
I'd check with your insurance before getting the window replaced they might not pay if you don't use their approved windscreen people to do the job.

Soldato
Check with the insurance company, but it should come under the glass section of your policy, and therefore shouldnt count towards your no claims or effect your premiums, I had my car broken in to about a month ago now and this was the case with my window.

Soldato
its not worth losing your ncb making a claim. chances are that the cost would be below your excess anyway?

call round a few local garage places - as its a side window it shouldnt cost that much for a replacement. i personally would find out who was cutting the grass that day then send the bill to the council stating you found a small stone (or whatever) on the back seat. take photographs of the grassy bits including where it was cut etc and send it all in. if they dont do anything well at least you tried.

Associate
Had a small chip on my side window caused by a stone and my insurance company (Directline) coughed up for a new window and I just paid the £50 excess, all windows are covered under there policy.

Associate
OP
I'm with e-sure so I'll give them a call tonight to see if this is covered under the windscreen policy. The total cost of replacement isn't worth claiming on if it is not covered by that feature.

I've also sent a letter to the council - quoting the Crime reference number (police said this is being treated as criminal damage) asking them to cough up the contact details for the contractor.

Soldato
If your insurance company are any good you'll find that they will replace the glass for you and pursue the council to recover their costs (plus fees etc). I would pursue this line with them before spending out any money.

Associate
OP
Result! I'm covered by my Windscreen repair. Autoscreen have been round and fitted a percplex window to protect the car until they can get a proper replacement in on Monday. The bloke also spotted a couple of chips on the windscreen and they've booked that in to be repaired at the same time next week. Only cost me £50 excess and it doesn't effect my premiums.

I'll still harass the council to see if I can recover anything out of them, but I'm not that bothered if I get no where.

Soldato
Nice result.

I would still send photographs to the council though, dont let some **** get away with breaking your window albeit by accident and then getting off without doing anything.

I really would take it up with the council and demand that they find out who was responsible.

Soldato
get one from a breakers for £25 and fit it yourself, they are easy as

Pop the trim undo a few bolts unpop the bottom runner bit the glass sat in, put in new bit and put back together. or something like that depending on car ;)

Unlucky though

Back
Top Bottom