Sigma 100-300 f4

Associate
Thinking of getting one as my local shop will do one for £550ish. Now being bit of a n00b with this kinda thing is it still possible to get soft lenses from Sigma at this level? Also the weight issue concerns me a lot, would a monopod be worth using with it?

Man of Honour
I've not used a Sigma 100-300 personally but I've heard a lot of folk sing its praises. As for being soft I've no idea but price is not necessarily a guide to softness - the Canon 35-350L used to retail for over £1500 and that was softer than a blamange that had been soaked in softening fluid ;)

Looking at the weight issue, the Sigma is only 1.5Kg, about the same as my 100-400L. It's heavy for sure but it's manageable, I would try it before buying a monopod. I picked up a Manfrotto one shortly after I got the 100-400 for the same reasons your considering one - I've tried it a couple of times in the house to see what it's like and I just don't get on with it, I prefer to just handhold and deal with the tired shoulders later.

Soldato
Spanker said:
Trouble is they don't carry it in stock and they only order them in for you as they won't let him have them for pre-approval :(

not true. with a certain high street shop i have had them order in lenses just for me to look at, with no obligation to buy.

Tom.

Associate
I have this lens and am more than happy with the build quality and sharpness.

I would echo what rpstewart said about the weight.. it does feel heavy when you are using it for long periods of time but it's not so bad, I dont suppose any of the professional telephoto zooms are any lighter. I also bought a monopod with the intention of using it with the 100-300 and it hasnt been used more than once!

Try out a lens of a similar weight from your local shop to see how you get on with it.

Associate
I too have this lens, and for the money it is fantastic far far better that all the 70-300 zooms out there.

I also have a monopod, but hardly ever use it.

Jonathan

Associate
I never had trouble holding my sigma altough it is slight less heavier at 1.2kg.

Is there any point in upgrading from 70-200mm > 100-300 version? btw I have the x1.4 convertor.

In terms of image quality 70-200 with x1.4 vs 100-300, how does it compare?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice so far :) The truth is i love photoghaphy but am a noob at it and i lost the use of my right arm in a motorcycle accident, so will be using this lense (if purchased) with my 350d with one arm, my idea was to use the lense with a monopod pouch to take most of the weight (even though after 15yrs of using just one arm it is very strong) Do you guys/gal think this would be possible?

Owners reviews of this lense if intrested :-http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=103&sort=7&cat=37&page=1

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom