• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sempron64 & heatsink cleaning query - urgent

Associate
New CPU with AMD heatsink/fan. I put it on a duff motherboard so it had to come off and I'm about to put it on another mobo.

I couldn't take off the SempronCPU+HSF "in one piece" because the lever to remove the CPU is tucked away under the heatsink, so they had to come off separately. I read Arctic Silver's instructions and bought acetone to clean the existing thermal compound off both items, but now that I'm about to re-paste (with much trepidation, have never done it before) I've read the instructions right thru to the end and it says:

"If you use acetone to clean, finish off with isopropyl alcohol"...

which I don't have. Do I have to? It will delay me considerably :(

clemenzina

Man of Honour
You don't HAVE TO use Isopropyl but I would recommend it for best results. I used acetone (nail varnish remover) for years and while it does an 'ok' job of removing old paste it dosn't get it all off. It might look clean but if you give it another go with isopropyl you won't belive the extra crap it gets off. If you want the very best temps then use it, thats why AS recommend it. You will however be fine without it though so don't worry too much about it. Golden rule for applying the paste is 'less is more'.

jdc

jdc

Associate
Pure acetone is ok - but if it's nail varnish remover it has additives and oils that leave a residue, hence the final pass with alcohol. At a pinch vodka will do instead of isopropyl - though it does seem a terrible waste :p

Back
Top Bottom