A game like Settlers.

Soldato
Alreet chaps?

Well i've dowloaded the demo of Settlers 5, and even though i think its canny, apparently everywhere i read its terrible, but i cant find anything similar in terms of building (economics, slow pace) rather than big battles with mini armies.

I think if its just for armies i'd go LOTR's Battle for Middle Earth, it looks great, but i like the other side of those kind of games.

I've got the new Civ, but fancied something at closer level, anyone got any ideas?

Associate
I was going to mention Civ until you said you already had it. Hmm you could try Rome: Total War, them sort of games are quite good and require strategic planning of battles rather than building shed loads of armies and going gung-ho.

Soldato
OP
Smithy said:
I was going to mention Civ until you said you already had it. Hmm you could try Rome: Total War, them sort of games are quite good and require strategic planning of battles rather than building shed loads of armies and going gung-ho.

Cheers but am trying to stay away from the war part as much as possible.

I'd like waring to be 10% of the game, the reast, city management settlers style.

:)

Soldato
OP
There's nowt out there is there?

Its all war focused.

Got the demo of City Life, seriosuly good game like.

I might just go out and get LOTR's Battle of middle earth and just gan to war.

So much for peaceful existance. :p

Associate
Now you come to think of it actualy no there isnt, most strategy games these days are majority war based. Hard to think of a game other than Civ where you can manage your economy/ culture etc without actualy ever building a military unit.

Soldato
OP
Smithy said:
Now you come to think of it actualy no there isnt, most strategy games these days are majority war based. Hard to think of a game other than Civ where you can manage your economy/ culture etc without actualy ever building a military unit.

Its a shame, even this settlers 5 you can tell it wil be all about the war in the end, but the good thing is it doesn't rush you into it.

You've got to go to the battle, so you dont get swamped and die at your 1st attempt.

Can't remember what game it was, but i was having a go, trying to look what certain buildingd do, then the next thing you know an army made for extermination walks into town and my two over 65yr old security guards on proplus **** themselves and passed out....game over.

Its put me off those kind of games since.

I like Civ as its turn based, i get to watch when something is going on, have time to react and learn along the way.

Soldato
Can anyone remember the name of that other game that was quite a bit like the settlers? Very similar visually, each person had individual needs and things, you had to get them married and so on, and also trained for, say, a baker, then build the bakery and so on and so forth.

Seem to remember there was at least one sequel, got terrible reviews, and was made by a European company of some sort. I rather enjoyed it and the demo of the sequel for a while, can't for the life of me remember what it's called!

Soldato
PinkPig said:
Can anyone remember the name of that other game that was quite a bit like the settlers? Very similar visually, each person had individual needs and things, you had to get them married and so on, and also trained for, say, a baker, then build the bakery and so on and so forth.

Seem to remember there was at least one sequel, got terrible reviews, and was made by a European company of some sort. I rather enjoyed it and the demo of the sequel for a while, can't for the life of me remember what it's called!

The only games I remember to be even a little like that are Beasts and Bumpkins, and Knights and Merchants. Neither of which were critically acclaimed, although I enjoyed both of them.

Soldato
Killerkebab said:
The only games I remember to be even a little like that are Beasts and Bumpkins, and Knights and Merchants. Neither of which were critically acclaimed, although I enjoyed both of them.

Wasn't either of those two..... am desperately searching! ;)

edit: Found it, Cultures and Cultures 2. Think I might download a demo again and see if they're actually any good!

Last edited:
Soldato
The best Settlers is Settlers 2 - the only bad thing being they did away with the random map seeds from the original Settlers. I still play it from time to time - WAY better than 3, 4 and 5. Might be tricky to get hold of now though.

Soldato
OP
MadFruit said:
The best Settlers is Settlers 2 - the only bad thing being they did away with the random map seeds from the original Settlers. I still play it from time to time - WAY better than 3, 4 and 5. Might be tricky to get hold of now though.

I've just downloaded full games before from abandonware, some great great games there, 100% legal, nothing wrong so here's the link:

Settlers2

Colonization (another fav of mine)

Dune2

UFO

Alone in the Dark

Adventures of Robin Hood (really crappy looking game, but i spent hours trying to crack it on the amiga, same goes with 'It came from the desert')

Beneath a Steel Sky

Day of the tentacle is linked, shame its not free :(

Would love to get my hands on Sam n Max (although managed to get the demo and it looks rough)

Full THrottle may have aged a bit better, wouldn't mind that either.

Last edited:
Soldato
dokko said:
I've just downloaded full games before from abandonware, some great great games there, 100% legal, nothing wrong so here's the link:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but as admitted on that site, despite being "ignored by the law", all of the links you have there are 100% illegal. It's software subject to copyright being distributed without the copyright holder's consent, the fact that it's no longer distributed is neither here nor there.

"Abandonware" sites like the one you linked to try to avoid being prosecuted by abiding by any particular requests to remove material and by not distributing anything currently available legally, but it's just a case of the law not being enforced. A copyright holder has the right to profit or not to profit from their creation - the fact that there's not currently any commercial use of that software doesn't make it legal for a third party to distribute it without permission.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
PinkPig said:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but as admitted on that site, despite being "ignored by the law", all of the links you have there are 100% illegal. It's software subject to copyright being distributed without the copyright holder's consent, the fact that it's no longer distributed is neither here nor there.

"Abandonware" sites like the one you linked to try to avoid being prosecuted by abiding by any particular requests to remove material and by not distributing anything currently available legally, but it's just a case of the law not being enforced. A copyright holder has the right to profit or not to profit from their creation - the fact that there's not currently any commercial use of that software doesn't make it legal for a third party to distribute it without permission.

Ooops, removed the link, i never realised that was the term of abandonware.

Thanks for that.

Associate
PinkPig said:

Stronghold?? Very popular in Germany apparently where it outsold Sims 2 or something. Played the latest one and although there is a bit of combat, it's not much.

Soldato
zytok said:
Stronghold?? Very popular in Germany apparently where it outsold Sims 2 or something. Played the latest one and although there is a bit of combat, it's not much.

That's a good game too - but nope, I already found it, see my other post ;)

Associate
Only game that springs to mind is Black and White 2. You can play the whole game with the minimum of combat and in some ways is very similar to settlers (building increases your influance and you have to make fields, production plants, etc). Its a very pretty game too.

I remeber playing the original settlers on the amiga, them where the days (was a brilliant game :) ).

Soldato
MadFruit said:

This man speaketh the truth. Settlers III made me want to end my own life I was that disappointed with it. :(

Back
Top Bottom