Brand new Gfx card done already?

Associate
Finally got my first ever self built rig together last week after much pondering and lurking these forums and everything was going great until I turned it on this morning and I'm getting all these weird lines running across the screen and once I get to the desktop the computer just shuts down or resets (fine when I boot into safe mode - still get the lines across the screen). Searched google and it seems it's most likely my video card overheating :eek: Can anyone confirm this for me, I've barely gotten 15 hours out of the thing yet and it's packed up already? :confused:

Here's a pic of the lines:
wtf4fm.jpg

Associate
OP
MeatLoaf said:
Looks like RMA time mate :( What care is it mate?

Looking that way :( I was using an All-In-Wonder X1800 XL. Getting a replacement's gonna be a bitch too 'cos I've heard ATI are a bit pants for that sort of thing and the other option is where I bought it -No competitor talk please! :o

Caporegime
Better edit out the competitor mate. I've heard a few horror stories from people who have dealt with them but I bought a 9800 Pro from them a few years ago and it developed a fault after a year or so and I sent them an enote and had a replacement sent to me as soon as they received the broken one. The second one went wrong a few months later and they sent me another one again. Just try and contact them and see what they say.

Associate
Hi I had artifacts exactly the same as that. I found it was just the temperature of my card (7800GT getting up to 70C!). I had a closer look at the card and found the heat sink was really clogged up with dust, so I shoved a hoover in it and that helped.

My problems started when the weather got warmer-
Try turning your central heating down, opening a window, moving the PC away from a radiator if it's near one.
If your case has a grill in the side (opposite the GPU) try mounting a fan by it.

Soldato
If youve had it less than a day and the temps are fine, then I dont see any reason why [insert competitor] wouldnt just replace it. Hell, you could get a refund if you really wanted.

SiriusB

Back
Top Bottom