Dominican Republic (Playa Dorada)

Associate
Just looking for a bit of information on the Dominican Republic, more specifically, Playa Dorada. There is a pretty good deal going for a two week all inclusive 4 star resort, and I’m a bit undecided whether or not to go for it as I have heard mixed reports. Travel agent was assuring us that it was a lovely place but I wasn’t so sure. Any one here been before and would like to share their thoughts? Much appreciated

Cheers

Rich

Associate
i went to puerto plata (something like that) i foudn the place to be too american, too big, my hotel was like a village (it was crazy), the food was awful - more quantity rather than quality. And it rained. And the diving was awful!

bad experience maybe :)

Soldato
when are you thinking of going?

i went in June last year and it was VERY hot. i didnt feel safe though. it depends if you like doing hardly anything and are happy to stay in the resort most of the time

once you go out you see how poor things are and people hassle you

also because of money its hard to do a lot (unless you have loads) and i got bored after the first week.

i was in puerto plata. also you need money for things like bottled water because its not safe to drink or clean your teeth with their tap water

edit: heres a map of where it is
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/karen.rice/domrep.gif

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yea I’ve been to Cancun the past two years with mates an I absolutely loved it, although by the end of the second week last year it was invaded by club 18-30’s and it kinda spoilt the place. This year I’m stuck with the missus so I was looking for something a bit quieter.

With regards to Pueto Plata, you don’t think its safe to go out at night to a club or bar or something like that? How about during the day? I really don’t want to be restriced to a resort for two weeks.

Cheers for the feedback so far.

Soldato
ive been twice, stayed both times in Playa Dorada, which is the enclosed resort inside of Puerto Plata, both hotels were spot on, and yes the hotel complex's can be a bit big, but we never had probs when we went, it nice and hot during the day (not neccessarily sunny), and then you sometimes get the nice afternoon showers. To be honest i saw more people out enjoying the pool and outdoors when it was pooring down with nice warm rain.

Suspended
Went quite a few years ago now but it was a good holiday. Sea can be a little wild at times but the pool areas are fine, food okayish, weather great but watch out for the rainstorms (usually all over in an hour but boy does it rain). The weather can get very hot (even I got a tan which is unheard of seems I'm so white normally) and the people are very friendly (some too friendly...see cautionary at bottom of post) but they are very poor.

Yhe Disco's on the complex play a little too much salsa for my liking and not too many English songs so it would be a good idea to loearn to salsa. Also there is\was no late night service or eateries so coming out of the discos late at night can be a drag if your'e hungry....but if your'e AI make sure you take some extra food to your room for the late night munchies!. The drinks are about 50% cheaper outside of the resort.

Hemingways is a good Karaoke bar on the complex and you can have a good night out there.

Watch out for the taxis if going out locally as they will charge what they "think" they can. Always best to get the hotel to book one for you. On the upside I went with a group of lads and we went for a night out in the local town and the taxi driver stayed with us all night (about 6 hours) for $25!!

Quad bike outings can be arranged and they go up into the mountains and visit coffee houses and plantations and are a good half day out. If you want to hire a car again the hotels normally can arrange a good deal for you but as has already been said the standard of driving leaves a lot to be desired and they love to drive 2ft from each other's bumpers!!

All in all a good value for money holiday and certainly an experience :D

Cautionary: If you do go for a night out on the town do be wary of clubs and vars where there seems to be a predominance of females sat alone at tables when you enter.......they are not friendless, but are certainly looking for "friends" if you get my drift, particularly the paying kind!!..... and bar bills can get very expensive if they sit down with you!!. These places cater primarily for the American sailors who seem to abound in the town and AIDS is rife in the country

Soldato
Is it a Riu resort richyfingers? If so, Leon came back from a Thomson educational this week and stayed there. He went all over the Dominican looking at hotels etc., so I'll get him in this thread when he's home from work. :)

Associate
OP
Lostkat said:
Is it a Riu resort richyfingers? If so, Leon came back from a Thomson educational this week and stayed there. He went all over the Dominican looking at hotels etc., so I'll get him in this thread when he's home from work. :)

That would be great Lostkat, the name of the resort im looking at is Occidental Allegro, Playa Dorada.

Cheers.

Don
Playa Dorada is fine , not very tropical but very safe , little to do outside hotels but for a quiet hol it's good

Playa dorada is a complex of hotels set around a small ( very ) resort centre with some excellent golf courses

Dominican hotel star ratings are generous as 4* will not be as good as at other places , check the 5* prices as they aren't much more in most cases ( Iberostar costa dorada is nice )

Man of Honour
Playa Dorada is a bit like a purpose built "resort" which as Rotty says is mainly hotels and Golf Courses.

I haven't looked round the Occidental, but the Gran Ventana in the same resort is quite nice with a really good choice of buffet and A La Carte.

Oh, you can get good catamaran trips that go from Playa Dorada beach too, we went on the Freestyle and had a good time snorkeling and drinking excessively :cool:

Associate
OP
Cheers for all the help, decided to go ahead and book up with the deal I saw originally. Couldn’t quite stretch to the 5* as it was out my budget, had to pay the £650 up front and its left me screwed for cash, got 5 weeks to get my spending money sorted

Other than that I’m pretty chuffed, looking forward to it. :cool:

PFG

PFG

Associate
I have been to dom rep and tbh i enjoyed myself immensly

albeit when u do an excursion u see poverty stricken locals n such

its a bit of a downer

but the all inclusive is nice(sometimes gash)

i was drinking a lot of the free lager so taste wasnt a factor

hunger from drink. . was! hehehe

oh btw take immodium!!!

coconut oil is a natural laxative

U will be using the term "thru the eye of a needle" and "mansize nappies needed"

Don
richyfingers said:
Did u get any injections before you went? The travel agent said it wasn’t necessary but my booking conformation says it's recommended.

yes quite a lot , have to be done about 8 weeks in advance

malaria pills aslo recommended too

Caporegime
Personally i wouldnt goto the north of the island.

Spend a bit more money and goto the south, its much nicer, you have the caribbean (rather than the atlantic) sea to swim in.

everyone who i have spoken to who have been to the north and south (east)have said the north is like most of european resorts (think Med / canaries).

I got married in Punta Cana. Stunning hotels, amazing beach, great hospitality and food.

Oh, in the south, 5* means 5* ;]
Its amazing the quality that you get compared to other much more expensive places (like Jamaica etc)

Last edited:
Don
Morba said:
Personally i wouldnt goto the north of the island.

Spend a bit more money and goto the south, its much nicer, you have the caribbean (rather than the atlantic) sea to swim in.

everyone who i have spoken to who have been to the north and south (east)have said the north is like most of european resorts (think Med / canaries).

I got married in Punta Cana. Stunning hotels, amazing beach, great hospitality and food.

Oh, in the south, 5* means 5* ;]
Its amazing the quality that you get compared to other much more expensive places (like Jamaica etc)

I've been to both and yes the beaches in the south/east are much better though I am not that bothered about beaches anyway

re the hotels I see no difference in the rating between north and south

Last edited:
Associate
me and mate just got back from dominican, we stayed just down the road from playa dorada. went there a couple of times though nice little resort. you can use the facilities of the other hotels aswell which is nice.

the main shopping plaza there has everything you need shops wise like super markets and even a pizza hut and cinema.

the beach is quite nice and not far from any of the hotels to be honest.

apart from that theres lots to do tours wise and they pick u up from any hotel.

Back
Top Bottom