Ducting in wall or on outside??.

Soldato
Within the next few weeks im going to be knocking my living room around.

The old fireplace is coming out (only electric) and im going to be mounting a 32inch LCD TV on the wall where this used to be.

The question is, whats best:-

Channel out the plasterboard and mount the ducting with all the relevant cables inside, and then plaster over this and hide everything.
or
Have the ducting on the outside of the plasterboard?.

Im tempted to channel out and totally hide all the cables going to the wall mounted TV.

Associate
you have to channel it out, bit more work and mess, but it will look fantastic in the long run, and you won't be thinking I should have hidden the cables in the wall everytime you look at your screen

Trunking on the outside of the wall is only used when people have no other choice, go for the inwall solution

If you don't now, you'll only do it later anyway, so get it done first time

Last edited:
Soldato
Make sure you put in the best cables you can get though, and think about the future a bit, as you don't want to be ripping the wall apart to install better cables later :D

Soldato
OP
Hammer and chisel are coming out :)

Thanks for the advice, ive been convinced, hiding the cables in the wall is the way to go. I'll post some work in progress pictures when im up and running.

Soldato
why not take a brick out of the wall and feed the cable into the fireplace then you need only a hole at skirting board level next to the sockets you are going to use?
The hole could even be behind the mounting plate for the TV so it would not need too much tidying up

Back
Top Bottom