sorry if already done but Best 939 board?

Associate
I know I know... I have a sli-dr board and good as it is I am after changing for acouple of reasons.

1 the chipset heatsink peeves me off - don't want to change it either.
2 very hot board that requires loads of extra power connectors

new board should be superb overclocker - have passive heatsink on chipsets -
leaning toward the new ati chipsets but dont know anything about them - just like the low thermal output they have.

if money was no object what would you buy?

Associate
OP
still requires loads of cooling for the board though - as i am watercooled don't have much direct air over that area so it would get toasty no?

has the earlier the bog standard sli when they first came out of that board (after readind anadtech revieW) and it clocked like a dog!

any more suggestions.

Suspended
Second that board, at least on the cooling front- the two passive heatsinks run pretty cool, MUCH cooler than a Nforce 4 board. A single silent 12cm fan will be enough for the Ati board, but you need more airflow for the Nforce 4. Overclocking is ok, I guess just how far are you going to overclock? Although you might want Nvidia SLI? in which case this board isn't suitable.

Associate
OP
I have an x1900xt at the mo - got it from here when they had the sale on not so long since. :) so sli not an issue.. dont really want dual gpu's as they are so power hungry problematic and there is always a better card round the corner that runs as good as two of the last gen. anyway that's another story

overclocking - i have a sweet opteron 170 that does 2.9 stable in my sli-dr reckon it'll do more with the right ram so overclocking is a must.. is the abr32 not that good? if so there must be something that clocks like a demon and runs cool as a cucumber..
what about the new saphire board? or is it just all bling?
cheers for the input so far guys.

Suspended
You could look at the DFI ATI board, same chipset but apparently DFI's clock much higher. Check if it has certain southbridge (my Asus uses ULI, supposed to be a stock ATI 3200 with a buggy/slow USB chipset or something)

Caporegime
squiffy said:
You could look at the DFI ATI board, same chipset but apparently DFI's clock much higher. Check if it has certain southbridge (my Asus uses ULI, supposed to be a stock ATI 3200 with a buggy/slow USB chipset or something)

Its not passively cooled though, so you'd have to replace the chipset cooler.

Associate
OP
from what i have read none are coming out as clear winnders apart from the dfi and I really wanted to get away from the chipset fan without replacing it.

maybe they are too young and i need to wait a bit - will keep looking at reviews etc.

cheers guys.

Associate
i have both ASUS A8N32 and Abit AN8-32x, have to say i prefere Abit board and and performs better, al beit youd need to run a benchmark to see the difference as youd not notice really from normal usage. For some reason masive difference in memory bandwidth using sandra, 5100 there abouts from asus and 6700 from abit, not sure what thats all about. Sorry its late and had a few beers so im being lazy.

Caporegime
gtir666 said:
i have both ASUS A8N32 and Abit AN8-32x, have to say i prefere Abit board and and performs better, al beit youd need to run a benchmark to see the difference as youd not notice really from normal usage. For some reason masive difference in memory bandwidth using sandra, 5100 there abouts from asus and 6700 from abit, not sure what thats all about. Sorry its late and had a few beers so im being lazy.

Is one running 1t command rate and the other 2t? Because thats a massive difference in memory bandwidth :confused:

Suspended
gtir666 said:

I get 6000-6100 Sandra benchmarks, running 1T, CAS 2.5, 250mhz.

Back
Top Bottom