Honda VTR backfiring?

Associate
I have a Honda VTR with Remus cans on it (road legal).

Ever since I've had it there has always been a tendancy for it to bang from the exhausts.

I've tightened up all the clamps on numerous occasions. If I tighten any more I'm eitehr going to round the bolt heads or break something!

Is there any way I can cure this?

Associate
Is it back firing on the over run or just doing it regardless?
Mine would pop and bang on the over run when i had MIG cans fitted, was great for making pedestrians jump :D Mine was fitted with dynojet kit and a K&N and run a bit on the rich side.
Could be that the carbs need balancing or that its running to rich.

For lots of help with VTR's try Revolution, what Roger doesnt know about VTR's can be put on the back of a stamp.
VTR mailing list on Yahoo is another good place.
And this VTR forum is also good for info.

Robb - ex VTR owner.

Soldato
Just for interest/reference, small popping backfires on over-run are due to the mix being too lean, whereas huge shotgun type backfires show a slightly too rich mixture. :)

Associate
IMHO all V-Twins ive owned have popped/banged when on overrun, especially with after market cans.

I have the same with my current SV1000S with CCC cans on it, good for making pedestrians jump and car alarms to go off ;)

Don
lukechad said:
I was told that that wasnt needed with a can, only if full systems were fitted. :confused: Is this just because I am running an IL4 compared to a V-twin or have I been told wrong?

They are half right. You can get away with not changing the fuelling if you just replace the cans but it is mandatory if you replace the system. Not changing the fuelling when you change the cans will result in you not getting the full benefit of the freer breathing pipes.

The fact of the matter is; that any change to exhaust back pressure will require that the engine be set up to mirror the changes.

Associate
OP
This is extreme shotgun overrun backifiring. Sounds awesome in tunnels but I work at an airport and am expecting to be shot if it does it near the old bill!

The cans were put on before I owned the bike. The plugs look healthy when I take them out for a service so think the fuel mix should be good?

May well take it to a dyno place and see what the results are.

Many thanks for the info guys!

Back
Top Bottom