How does it work ? Is It Magic?

axe

axe

Suspended
Well i was just thinking today hmmmmm how does the internet connect us to websites located in america? or any other country which is thousands of miles away is there cables or maybe satalites :confused: and how do they handle the bandwith of millions of people ?

Sorry if this is easy but im just curious :p

Mic

Mic

Soldato
axe said:
Well i was just thinking today hmmmmm how does the internet connect us to websites located in america? or any other country which is thousands of miles away is there cables or maybe satalites :confused: and how do they handle the bandwith of millions of people ?

Sorry if this is easy but im just curious :p
Loads of cables running across the atlantic.

Don
theres a bloke called Jones with a rowing boat off the coast of wales , he loads all the packets onto his boat and takes them over

he rows very fast

Don
VeNT said:
one BIG ass cable going though cornwall over to the USA (its by the minnack)

Damn , has Jones been made redundant then ? :(

I heard they were outsourcing it to a team of rowers from Bangalore but hadn't heard of this new fangled cable thingy :eek:

Soldato
Rotty said:
Damn , has Jones been made redundant then ? :(

I heard they were outsourcing it to a team of rowers from Bangalore but hadn't heard of this new fangled cable thingy :eek:

tbh, its just a tube for him to crawl though realy.

Baz

Baz

Soldato
Plus a few satellites, some info going through goonhilly, as well as the big ass cable :)

Its the imps at either end who i feel sorry for, deciding where the 0's and 1's have to go, poor little things keep getting stabbed by the 1's :eek:

Associate
I first read about those trans-atlantic cables in "Cuckoo's Egg" by Clifford Stoll, about a true story of tracking a hacker.
Got some real good background into how world networking started - and how they had (at the time) only about 7 cables going across the atlantic.

That must have been some bloody big rolls of cable :D

Soldato
Pinkeyes said:
I first read about those trans-atlantic cables in "Cuckoo's Egg" by Clifford Stoll, about a true story of tracking a hacker.
Got some real good background into how world networking started - and how they had (at the time) only about 7 cables going across the atlantic.

That must have been some bloody big rolls of cable :D

layed in the victorian era iirc (the old ones that is).

Soldato
This makes me feel much better about the day I was putting a bottle of milk back into the fridge and suddenly realised I had no idea how a fridge actually works. I quickly ran upstairs and googled it....

Back
Top Bottom