scripting query

Soldato
I haven't been able to test this and to be honest my office is now 33 degrees and my concentration has been failing for the past hour!

I have some PCs on the network which may or may not have certain programs installed on them, my intention was to use the "if exist" command to check for the exe in the program files folder and if it's present to copy a shortcut from the server down onto the users desktop. Yes we need it to be right onfront of them!

Sound like a good plan? honestly I'm nearly falling asleep here, cant wait on my A/C unit being installed <stares dreamily at the cardboard box that's gathering dust in the corner>

I'll figure out the exact script I need for the 2003 servers tomorrow I give up for today!

Permabanned
Should be fairly straighforward to do as a login script (just cp a shortcut from the Start Menu to All Users Desktop) but how are your applications actually deployed? Are they ghosted or deployed via GPO? It might be easier to include the shortcut in the installed package :) (OK, not easier, but theoretically more correct and future-proof)

In fact you don't really need to do any testing in your login script, as that particular line will just fail if the original shortcut doesnt exist and it will go onto the next (assuming you use a bat file)

Soldato
OP
Unfortunately a lot of users call me saying "I don't have application X installed" when infact they do but they're too damn stupid to find it on the start menu. So I thought if I put the damn icons on the desktop they can't possibly not find it, hence cutting down stupid phone calls.

That's the theory anyway!

Associate
Kami said:
Unfortunately a lot of users call me saying "I don't have application X installed" when infact they do but they're too damn stupid to find it on the start menu. So I thought if I put the damn icons on the desktop they can't possibly not find it, hence cutting down stupid phone calls.

That's the theory anyway!

Can fix stupidity eh :D

Happy B'day btw

Back
Top Bottom