Influential people in your life?

Man of Honour
Has there been anyone in your life who you feel were influential? You know someone you look back on and looked up to. Someone who really made a difference and had lots of time for you as a kid. Where there any specific reason why and lastly, do they know?

For me, it was my uncle. Having no kids of his own until I was about 8, he had loads of time for me and took me all sorts of places. He was in the met police force and I remember him taking me out on his police bike and into a police station for the day. He had his own motorbike and took me out quite regularly on it and told me not to tell my mum :) . I’ve always been nuts on bikes since.

I just remember silly little things I done with him but not my dad and in away feel quite mad that my dad wasn’t as much of an influence as I’d have liked.

I’ve not seen my uncle since I was ten because he had an affair and were later divorced. However, this August I’m going to my cousins wedding and will see him for the first time since. What’s’ weirder, he has no idea what an impact he made on me.

Soldato
Not really ever had anyone tbh :(

[edit]

I don't think so anyway :confused:

I probably have, just can't think of any specific. Probably just friends etc.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I am a person who tries to live through others experiences. So for me to say "so-and-so has influenced me" would be silly.

The people that stand out most, who have influenced some of my views, are been my partners and family.

That doesn't mean to say they're as bad as me, however. ;)

Associate
Admiral Huddy said:
What’s’ weirder, he has no idea what an impact he made on me.

Then why not take him to one side and be open with him? I'm sure it will absolutely make his day to know that, even after all the time has gone by, he had such a positive impact on you. :)

Associate
Admiral Huddy said:
I’ve not seen my uncle since I was ten because he had an affair and were later divorced. However, this August I’m going to my cousins wedding and will see him for the first time since. What’s’ weirder, he has no idea what an impact he made on me.
Sounds like a good chance to have a nice chat and (barring any awkwardness) tell him you really appreciated the things he did for you when you were younger. :)

Mat

Mat

Soldato
Other than my family (thats a given), the two most influential people Ive ever met are my ex line manager - top bloke, really helpful with a wicked sense of humour, and my current TKD instructor - not only is he super duper at TKD but will help with anything if he can. Both are the kind of person who always has sound advice on everything and can put their hand to just about anything.

Soldato
Probably my mum if she was still around. I've inherited her physical characteristics, and her compassion I think (something my dad and his side of the family just don't have, very complicated to explain).

People talk about being hard. I'm hard. I can fight most people and I've done a few tough things but she was truly hard. She bore pain, sacrificed, and knew when to show compassion and when not to.

Soldato
Jim and Joan :)

Always had time for me and my sister. Treated us like grandchildren and felt closer to them than I did to my actual grandparents. They were the first people to hold me as a baby that weren't officially immediate family. We always saw them Christmas day, Joan taught me to play crib, dominos and lots of card games. Jim taught me how to play the horses on a saturday.

They were the most good-natured people I have ever met in my life. I only ever saw Joan rattled once, and that was when someone said something nasty to my Mum. They were married for 49 years after getting married after only a few weeks (iirc) during WWII. :D

Joan died 10 years ago last month, and it was the first funeral I was allowed to attend. Afterwards Jim gave me Joans engagement ring that she had worn for all of the 49 years they were together - I never take it off. I hope, and think she did, know how we all felt about her. Jim died late last year and while we were unable to get down south we wrote him a letter. His son read it to him and he died later the same day. We were told that it had meant the world to him and I'm so glad we did it. He then told his son that he was finally going to be with Joan again - who could blame him for looking forward to it? :(

Still makes me tear up just thinking about them. I'll always miss them and be thankful for the time I got to be with them as well as for all the things they taught me. :)

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Huggs Kell_ee01, You sweety. :)

My grandad.
My dad bailed out when i was about a year old so my grandad was like my dad. Till i was 7 and a half when he died. :(
I was the last one to touch and talk to him. Visiting him in hospital my Ma gave him a hug and then my sister, when i went to give him a hug he said No Malc you are a man now and shook my hand firmly.
We got the call later he had died and it rocked my world. Things were never the same without him.

Soldato
My mum, she always put me and my brother before herself and has always been a great mother :) She always helped me with my schoolwork when I was a kid, helping me with those maths books before I was even taught it in school.
Also my girlfriend Alice, she's been so supportive and helpful especially when I chose that I wanted a career in catering :)

Soldato
Kell_ee001 i'm in tears now lol i know its silly but i've had a bad day that was really heartfelt, i feel silly :o
My mum has always been there for me she brought me and my two sisters up as my dad was always away working but she still had time for us all. I hope when i have kids that if im even half as good as her then i will be happy.
She has always told me how proud she is of me and i love her more than anyone else in the entire world.

Soldato
My English Lit Teacher - Tought me the beauty of folk and country guitar playing. I was Totally drawn in, and has influenced the way i look at all genre's of music.

My Grandad - Look up to him like an older farther. Always used to take me out as a kid. We are very close because he never had boys and i think he really would have liked one, so he loves it when i come to see him. Tought me the art of pool playing too ;)

My Cousin - Looked up to him like an older brother. Introduced me to the world of women and cricket. Become even closer once my grandad was diagnosed with cancer for the second time this year. Now we talk with complete trust between us. We are best friends as well as cousins.

Associate
My dad - he put his whole life on hold to look after me when mum left and just as I reached the age when he could have started to "live" again (16) he died (46).

He was a wonderful man and a brilliant father and I miss him every day

Back
Top Bottom