• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

mates new system, all seems ok......?

Associate
I was over at a friends last night giving his new purchase the once over.
Not bad, he paid £200 for an Athlon 64 3000 - Winchester, Leadtek 6800GT, 1gig RAM (Mix and match, but no generic) and a nearly new BFG motherboard.

Case, PSU etc all ok. Now, the former owner was a bit of a modder, or rather fancied himself as one. As a result, the inside of this case looks like it's been assimilated...The 6800GT has had it's stock fan removed, and replaced with an 80mm collermaster fan. Temps at idle are 60 degrees C, which seems rather high to me? Runs everything fine, but would a re seating of the heatsink be in order with some AS5? never managed to get a look at load temps.

Soldato
Might be an idea!

Reseat it and recheck! If it's still high then go for a cheap quality cooler like an Arctic Cooling NV. Should reduce that temperature by quite an amount!

Great price for what he's got! :cool:

Was that a purchase of a certain auction site or what? It's impressive whatever! ;)

gt_junkie

Associate
OP
It was bought from a guy he works with. You know the kind, always after a new project from Ebay :confused: so he was selling on his old system.

To be honest, i'm surprised it works. Very scrappy looking, but it's just untidy cables I think. The GT was clocked to Ultra (so he says) but I told him not to clock it at all again until the temp issue was sorted.

I'll re-seat it for him this WE :)

Soldato
Good idea tellin him not to re-clock it to ultra speeds. It'll probably easily get there but not until that heatsink's sorted!!! :eek:

Sounds like it just needs a bit of time and TLC. :rolleyes:

I'm really interested to hear how it goes so keep us posted!!! :)

gt_junkie

Associate
OP
Will do :p Prob needs a good dusting too, so i'll re do the processor heatsink as well. Forgot to mention it's an Arctic Cooler Freezer 64 Pro, so he should be ok there.

Just don't want him to end up with a dead card. He plays BF2 ALLOT so I don't want it cooking itself.

Back
Top Bottom