Chevette Project

Soldato
Right, time for a project thread.

My Manta showed up today ready to donate some parts to my Chevette. I was worried I may be putting a tidy Manta to an early grave but it turned out that will not be an issue. Would be ideal for a rat look manta though.

manta.jpg

The Chevette is going to be getting the engine and gearbox from the manta at the very least. This is a standard 1.8 putting out 90bhp thorugh a 5 speed gearbox, compared to the chevettes 60bhp 1.3 through a 4 speed. I also need to measure up the axles to see how hard it will be to get the manta axle onto the chevette, it's a touch wider but I may be able to work around that through a mix of wider arches and heavily offset/narrow wheels.

I've also got ~£600 bucket seats I got off ebay for £80 which will be going in when I've got some bars welded between the prop tunnel and the inner sill to mount them on. I've also put in a funky little blue backlit tacho I got off ebay for £20 which fit's in just fine with the 80's interior:o. Also on the interior front I have a Mountney leather steering wheel from my mum's first car which needs a new boss then will be going in the chevette to finish off the interior changes for the moment.

On the outside I need to get the wings off to do some welding before too long, both on the outer wing to sort some scabbyness and to patch a whole in the inner arch where some filler or fibreglass has fallen out of a previous whole. I've also got some replacement arch panels for the back, one of which will be going on the OSR arch to replace the current rusty one.

Having written all this down I realise this could well be a busy summer:D.

Once all this is done it needs a sump guard ASAP as I'm collecting huge clods of earth on my front cross member when I go down white roads. Then it should be all ready t go for some serious road rallying. The sump on the new engine will be needed to put a red top in one day so I don't want that getting damaged either:D.

Updates will come allong the way as I get round to actualy doing some of this work.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not a bad project Dave :) I will have to go over and take a peek some time, I still haven't seen the chevett in the flesh.

I think Penski will like that Manta :eek: ;)

Soldato
OP
So do I;). It'll be getting scrapped when I've got my bits off it so if anyone ones to drag it away for a really ratty project they're welcome to it. I got the chevette the day before the last Southampton mini meet, but then had to go to work the next day:(. I'll make sure I make it to the next one, see if I can tempt fox with some retro lovelyness.

Soldato
Keep us posted mate. :)

Those BBS (?) alloys look really nice on the Chevette, but there is something bugging me...

...90bhp from a 1.8. :(

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I'm sure our neighbours love us, we've already broken 2 cars on the drive this year:D. We've just been having a proper look at the manta (with my rose tinted specs on) and none of that rust seems to be structural, it's been preped for painting then left to start rusting. So I'm going to have to have a look underneath it and see what it looks like. It's looking like I may have two projects this summer...

Don
The manta is indeed a good base for a project (having seen it myself) BUT its going to need a fair few ££ and a lot of elbow grease to get that thing to drive again :p

My personal preference would be to get the shuv done and running like a dream THEN get a car suitable for a SECOND project car :p

Me... im trying to find a sensible mini to invest in (if such things exist!) Failing that, someone spec me a project car :D

Soldato
Sounds like a good project! :)

My project I'm *definitely* going to be working on this summer is my Ford Anglia, which will have a Nissan 200SX's CA18DET engine in it :) 200bhp and turbo, oh yes :cool:

Garry

Soldato
OMG you should have bought a Mondeo or a BMW diesel. WTF etc...

Anyway - looks like a sweet project dude. I've always wanted a Manta. My dad had one when I was a wee 'un and ever since then I've looked at them with a lotta love. Pity that one has to die, but at least it's going to a good cause :D

You planning on nicking suspension bits from the manta too?

Don
I think he was planning on going for the rat look, so treat the rust to stop it spreading but dont bother replacing panels etc.. He's working on getting the engine started this evening actually..

Back
Top Bottom