HELP! Windows System Files Corrupt?

Associate
I accidentally knocked the switch off of the mains on my pc and shut it down improperly. I cant get windows to start up now and i get a message saying that some system files are corrupt and need repairing. It says that i should do this by inserting the windows installation disk and pressing "r" on the first screen (which brings up the recovery console).

However, im not sure what im supposed to do here. I know that i just need to reinstall/repair the windows system files so i can start the pc up again but im not sure how to do this safely/properly.

Can anyone please help!?

Thanks Guys

Associate
OP
the corrupt folder is C:/windows/system32/config/system
it doesn't seem to let me reinstall windows to repair it using the windows disk.
anything else i can do to help it?
thanks

Soldato
From your posts so far, and from my experience I would reccomend the following link

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

I would also recomend looking up some Recovery console tutorials, it is very easy to use and has helped me at home and at work fix many PC's/Servers. Thje recovery console can be accessed when booting off of a WindowsXP CD and seecting the repair option.

This probably happened because files were updating/being written to when the power was lost. These files need fixing/repairing. Try a chkdsk as well as what is reccomended in the above link.

Back
Top Bottom