iPod users - what is your bit rate of choice?

Soldato
iBot said:
192 vbr with lame+eac

Anyone who is "ok" with 128 needs better ears/speakers/soundcard

Oh yes, because the big bass of puff dady's song doesn't sound good on the litle ipod at 128 :p

But yeah 192 is pretty damn good, 128 is ok too as long as you don't have it too loud.

Soldato
For me its 128k with my Iriver, or 192k. Im starting to run out of space so all the higher codecs have had to be lowered, and through standard headphones (Sennheisser MX500s) i cant really tell a difference.

Associate
FunkyT said:
Yes, I think it is dude. The file sizes get a little chunky when you go above 192Kbps :p

Its not so bad for me, I have a 20gb ipod and swap around my music a lot, usually never more than 10gb on there at any one time and thats with mp3's at 320k

If I had a Nano or Shuffle i'd think differently.

Soldato
OP
Is there a significant benefit in using a higher bit rate than 128Kbps?

http://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/amm/techinf/layer3/

mp3soundquality4zj.jpg

I'm not really sure how a lossy compression algorithm can be classed as "CD Quality" :confused:

Associate
FunkyT said:
Is there a significant benefit in using a higher bit rate than 128Kbps?

http://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/amm/techinf/layer3/

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/430/mp3soundquality4zj.jpg

I'm not really sure how a lossy compression algorithm can be classed as "CD Quality" :confused:
M'well, that tableis probably several years old. I remember when MP3 first came out, 128kps was indeed considered "CD Quality". But TBH, if you are willing to spend money on non-generic players, and non generic ear/headphones, there is little reason nowadays to not opt for something a little better. If you have to go lossy, then the best quality/size is provided using VBR. LAME @ APS is probably around the size of 192kps, but is theoretically better. Whether you can tell the difference is another matter, but I see little reason not to go for VBR nowadays (early implementations had issues, but it isn't the case nowadays).

Soldato
HAve mine at 320AAC but will convert all of my flacs to 224AAC in a bit as the file sizes fall just below the buffer in the ipod so will help conserve battery life.

Soldato
192k is what id concider the sweet spot for 90% of the meterial out there. >192 isnt needed for most stuff, and filesize is still small at 192. Also, at 192 its incredibly hard for people to pass a blind test so its as near as dammit to a 1:1 copy sound-wise:)

id never concider an ipod though :p

Soldato
OP
james.miller said:
192k is what id concider the sweet spot for 90% of the meterial out there. >192 isnt needed for most stuff, and filesize is still small at 192. Also, at 192 its incredibly hard for people to pass a blind test so its as near as dammit to a 1:1 copy sound-wise:)

id never concider an ipod though :p

Nice one.

What's your mp3 player of choice Mr Miller? :)

Soldato
quality-wise an ipod is great if you intend to use the line out and an external amp. otherwise...its average.

My pick of the week with be the 20gb cowan iaudio m5 @ £159 or m5l @ £169. cheap, loads of space, decent battery life (5 hours on the L) and awsome sound quality.

Soldato
OP
james.miller said:
quality-wise an ipod is great if you intend to use the line out and an external amp. otherwise...its average.

My pick of the week with be the 20gb cowan iaudio m5 @ £159. cheap, loads of space, decent battery life and awsome sound quality.

The benefit of the iPod is the availability of 3rd party add ons and "compatibility". I'm thinking specifically for use in the car e.g. Alpine CD/tuner with direct connection, VW iPod factory installations etc etc

Back
Top Bottom