Going on my first "proper big" journey alone today... eek!

Caporegime
Well, been two years since i've seen some of my best friends form uni and am today taking a road trip from East Grinstead in West Sussex to Leeds (Headingley) to see them. However, considering the furthest i've ever driven is about an hour and a bit to Bluewater shopping centre this is a mammoth 4 hour and 250 mile journey.

Yesterday Ipurchased a Tom Tom One using £100 worth of No competitors!! FF. vouchers + cash so that should be a major weapon in my aresenal against ending up in Wales. I've done a bit of motorway driving now and am comfortable, calm and pretty sensible while driving on them in busy traffic.

Any essential tips for a young man before making this epic pilgrimage? :)

Soldato
Stop for a break every couple of hours.

Look as far ahead as you can and also use your mirrors so you know what is coming up behind you.

Glance over the shoulder when you change lanes.

Give your car a check over before you set off. Check all levels, visually check the tyres for any abrasions or damage, and also tyre pressures. Takes a few minutes, could save your life.

I'm sure you will be ok mate.

Soldato
Take stops as soon as you feel you need a rest, even if it is before a few hours. Sat Nav will make it much easier on you with not having to find your way so much.

Also remember to keep a 2 second gap between you and the car infront.

Soldato
When passing junctions with cars joining the motorway move over into the middle or outside lane (whichever is appropriate) so that the joining traffic can merge easily and safely.

Caporegime
OP
thebrasso said:
Stop for a break every couple of hours.

Look as far ahead as you can and also use your mirrors so you know what is coming up behind you.

Glance over the shoulder when you change lanes.

Give your car a check over before you set off. Check all levels, visually check the tyres for any abrasions or damage, and also tyre pressures. Takes a few minutes, could save your life.

I'm sure you will be ok mate.

Oh shoot I forgot about checking my car... very good point thanks mate!

About the breaks... you think about every 1.5 hrs would be sensible?

Soldato
Richdog said:
Oh shoot I forgot about checking my car... very good point thanks mate!

About the breaks... you think about every 1.5 hrs would be sensible?

As soon as you feel tired or every 2 hours I would say. Whichever comes first.

Soldato
Over a 4 hour journey, stopping around halfway at the 2 hour mark will be the best bet. On longer journeys than that though, say 6 or 8 hours, I'd drive for longer than 2 hours, prehaps up to 3 or 4, as long as I was feeling ok.

Caporegime
OP
AcidHell2 said:
Fill the tank to the brim (with petrol or diesel)...

Already done mate. Taking a Renault 1.4RT with me so should get there on a tank, it does almost 300 to the tank when you don't thrash it. :)

Makes you wonder what incentive there is to use public transport... a train ticket was £80 and 2x full tanks for me is about £65. :rolleyes: ;)

Man of Honour
Richdog said:
Already done mate. Taking a Renault 1.4RT with me so should get there on a tank, it does almost 300 to the tank when you don't thrash it. :)

Makes you wonder what incentive there is to use public transport... a train ticket was £80 and 2x full tanks for me is about £65. :rolleyes: ;)

And the savings ger rediculouse when you have 2 or 3 people going up.

Soldato
Tesla said:
When passing junctions with cars joining the motorway move over into the middle or outside lane (whichever is appropriate) so that the joining traffic can merge easily and safely.

And remember to move back in again when safe to do so. Don't be a middle lane moron :)

Soldato
I did 450 miles to a tank (40 litres) in my 220 the other week. Most of the way I was driving at 70mph, but had the odd 'FLOOR IT' moment.

Just take your time, relax and enjoy the drive. Like I said, I did 450 miles to a tank... that was from Manchester to Bristol and back in a day.

Driving along the motorway at 5am is probably the best thing in the world. Cruising along at 70mph with no one else around. So relaxing!

Caporegime
OP
iCraig said:
Don't be rude to hitchhikers. :)

Umm... too late but can make a fresh start I suppose. :D

agw_01 said:
I did 450 miles to a tank (40 litres) in my 220 the other week. Most of the way I was driving at 70mph, but had the odd 'FLOOR IT' moment.

Just take your time, relax and enjoy the drive. Like I said, I did 450 miles to a tank... that was from Manchester to Bristol and back in a day.

Driving along the motorway at 5am is probably the best thing in the world. Cruising along at 70mph with no one else around. So relaxing!

Unfortunately itll be 2am in the afternoon, probably quite busy I think. :(

ANyway ive just eaten a carefully constructed tin of tuna mixed in with a tin of beans so that should provide some good energy and brain-food for the next couple of hours... might need to keep the windiows open though. :D

Back
Top Bottom