• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

A64 X2 Processors

Associate
Just bought one of these and installed it in my motherboard without any issues but was wondering is there any sofware or drivers that are required to get the best out of this dual core processor?
I Opted for the 4200+ and was also wondering what kind of overclocking it was capable of too. My idle temps are currently around 34deg with my current hsf (Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro ) and was wondering if this sounds about right.
Does anyone know of any games that are around the corner that will make use of a dual core processor or are they still a while away.
I've certainly noticed an improvement whilst multi tasking but games performance seems around the same to me unless I'm missing something very basic lol.

Associate
PinkFloyd said:
Make sure you have the correct AMD X2 driver installed and install the Windows XP SP2 dualcore fix (presuming your using that windows ;))
You only need the AMD driver if you are going to use Cool'n'quiet.
Otherwise there is no need for it as it will not make Windows "see"the dual core"
I never install it or any so called patch and regardless of installing Windows Home or Pro and or changing from a singe to dual core and not reinstalling windows my X2 3800 has always been seen by windows and works as it should.
Don't know what people are doing wrong if Windows does not"see"it as dual core if they have not installed the driver.

musicman53 said:
You only need the AMD driver if you are going to use Cool'n'quiet.
Otherwise there is no need for it as it will not make Windows "see"the dual core"
I never install it or any so called patch and regardless of installing Windows Home or Pro and or changing from a singe to dual core and not reinstalling windows my X2 3800 has always been seen by windows and works as it should.
Don't know what people are doing wrong if Windows does not"see"it as dual core if they have not installed the driver.

Quoted for truth. Have had no issues and have not installed any patches. Installed chip booted - detected- rebooted- all is well.

Soldato
musicman53 said:
It worked fine before I patched it too.
Just runs a little bit quicker (it feels slightly quicker.... I dunno) since installing it.
ALso installing a driver for a processer is enver a bad idea, even if it doesnt solve the problem you are having, it may solve other which you havent noticed yet. :)

Suspended
Right I'm building a HTPC up not sure to go for 3700+ SC or 3800+ DC. £60 more for the dual core. I think single core makes more sense, not going to play games or anything- but I wonder if using FFDSHOW or similar (video processing) the dual core will help if a single core CPU is fully loaded?

Associate
Hawklord said:
I Opted for the 4200+ and was also wondering what kind of overclocking it was capable of too. My idle temps are currently around 34deg with my current hsf (Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro ) and was wondering if this sounds about right.

I have mine at 2.8GHz :D 34c idle is ok maybe should be a bit less, my idle at 2.8 is 35/36 and 48/52 Load. Also using a pro 64 cooler :D

Soldato
volt9291 said:
I have mine at 2.8GHz :D 34c idle is ok maybe should be a bit less, my idle at 2.8 is 35/36 and 48/52 Load. Also using a pro 64 cooler :D

Damn you! :p I'm only at 2.5 with 1.4v and its hitting 60C load :(

Suspended
Anyone see problems Freezer 64 Pro fitting into Asus A8N-VM-CSM, Silverstone T08case? Is the cooler pretty quiet?

Last edited:
Associate
sr4470 said:
Freezer 64 Pro, same as yours.

:confused: Well shouldnt be that hot!

at 2.8 - 1.55V and have never seen it go near 55c (thats running a stress test on both cores and the cpu fan on max!)
oc.jpg

This is at idle. :cool:

Associate
sr4470 said:

id try and reseat that cooler, it shouldnt be that hot, also run it with side off the case to see what the difference is, whats your idle temps?

also volt9291, your running your ram at 2t and very slack timings, get them sorted

Soldato
turbotoaster said:
id try and reseat that cooler, it shouldnt be that hot, also run it with side off the case to see what the difference is, whats your idle temps?

The side is off already, and idle is about 38C.

Back
Top Bottom