• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

X1900 Xfire

Associate
Getting a new PC system and have chosen the X1900 as my GFX choice :D

Decided to get the master card over the slave. Do I need to? I keep reading around places that the new mobo's don't need a master card and 2 slaves will work just as well.

:confused: *Confuzzeledness* :confused:

Soldato
You still need a Crossfire Edition master card and a standard slave card. It's only rumour so far that ATi are going to be doing away with the master/slave system on the software level.

Associate
NightmareXX said:
Getting a new PC system and have chosen the X1900 as my GFX choice :D

Decided to get the master card over the slave. Do I need to? I keep reading around places that the new mobo's don't need a master card and 2 slaves will work just as well.

:confused: *Confuzzeledness* :confused:

once ya got it working, it kicks ass, but make sure you get a decent psu 600w plus, and also dual core cpu so you dont bottleneck really bad

Suspended
Personally would just buy the cheaper slave, as you might not go into 1900XT crossfire (single 1900XT/XTX fast enough) 2000XT single might be faster than X1900XT Crossfire. Although it's likely the master card will be discontinued/hard to find/expensive.

Soldato
The X1900 master is only £5 or so more than the slaves isn't it? I consider that dirt cheap considering the X1800 master is £370 when the slaves are £200 less than that, so I would buy an X1900 master now before the gap starts to increase if I was definitely planning to go Crossfire (or even if I wasn't, a master on its own isn't going to do any harm in the long run and it's not much dearer than the slaves so go for it.)

Suspended
ATI Radeon X1900 ***Crossfire Edition*** 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-045-CO)

PowerColor ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-060-PC)

I have the bottom one (purchased on the special offer a while ago) but the mastercard is too expensive, and will probably stay high, probably even when it's fazed out and replaced with 2000XT :(

Soldato
Yeah. :( I keep forgetting to look at the X1900XT's for some reason, I keep looking at the X1900XT-X's even though I know and keep telling people that it's just not worth the premium for +25MHz, since the XT's overclock that high anyways.

Is X2000 the official name for the next series? I keep seeing people saying it. :eek:

Associate
OP
I wouldn't say it was expensive for the technology that you get for it.

Look at SLi. They have to be EXACTLY the same card whereas crossfire, just gotta be the same series :)

Soldato
NightmareXX said:
I wouldn't say it was expensive for the technology that you get for it.

Look at SLi. They have to be EXACTLY the same card whereas crossfire, just gotta be the same series :)
Well, not exactly the same card for SLi. You can mix-and-match brand/clocks, just not cores. I agree though, the X1900 Crossfire is better value for money than the X1800 Crossfire is at least.

Associate
OP
I thought that was the case with SLi but Ikept reading places that they had to be EXACTLY the same (brand/core). Didn't think it was true but I aint an nVidia fan so I didn't bother to check it out.

Oh as a side question. If I'm not gonna be OCing my CPU, is the Asus A8R-MVP good for crossfire?

Soldato
Nah they added the ability to mix brands and clockspeeds to a Forceware version some time after Battlefield 2 was released IIRC.

Dunno about that motherboard, BTW. Sorry. :(

Caporegime
NightmareXX said:
I thought that was the case with SLi but Ikept reading places that they had to be EXACTLY the same (brand/core). Didn't think it was true but I aint an nVidia fan so I didn't bother to check it out.

Oh as a side question. If I'm not gonna be OCing my CPU, is the Asus A8R-MVP good for crossfire?

Asus A8R-MVP Crossfire is the best RD480 Chipset board, but why not go for the new RD580 Chipset as the RD480 is the old Chipset, Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe Crossfire is the latest chipset one, id get it over the DFi, as thats a rediculous price. :)

If your not to fussed and still fancy the A8R MVP then its still a fast board, as said its the best RD480 board by a long way, i picked one up on Sunday, finally got rid of my DFI LanParty RDX200 Crossfire. :D :D

Wish id got this board in the first place, very happy with it, Asus are the only boards ive ever used, and not had 1 single problem with any of em at all, decided to try the DFi as everyone was saying they are the dogs, but what an atrocious board, only had it 6 months and had nothing but problems, about as stable as a 2x legged table, so got rid and went back to Asus, and what a suprise, its running sweet as with no hint of problems, we live and learn. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom