Holidays with young kids?

Soldato
Looking at going somewhere for a week in June with the children, anyone got any ideas? The youngest is only 6 months so long flights are out :p

Was initially looking at Center Parcs in Whinfell Forest (Has anyone been, comments?) or maybe going to Jersey, somewhere I've never been and I can fly out from Teesside airport which is only a few minutes from where I live.

So, anyone have any other good ideas? This is a bit of a spur of the moment idea so I've only just started giving it any thought.

Thankees!

Soldato
Center Parcs is good for families, if you dont mind hoardes of people and extortionate prices. I've been with the kids a few times and had an excellent time every time, but it's too expensive now.

The best holiday I've had with the kids was renting a farmhouse in Devon. We spent the week on the beaches in the rockpools building dams and forts etc come rain or shine. Brilliant, relaxing and the kids had a ball.

Associate
wyrdo said:
Looking at going somewhere for a week in June with the children, anyone got any ideas? The youngest is only 6 months so long flights are out :p

Was initially looking at Center Parcs in Whinfell Forest (Has anyone been, comments?) or maybe going to Jersey, somewhere I've never been and I can fly out from Teesside airport which is only a few minutes from where I live.

We're off to Whinfell Forest next week, since Brum is there and my likkle lad likes Brum. This will be the 4th time we've been. Went in september for a midweek break.
Its great for the kids, the pool is nice and there is seperate kiddie pools(which are loverly and warm).
Eating out is a bit pricey, but we're hoping its nice so we can have some barbies while there.

We only live an hour from Whinfell Forest so the likkle monsters dont have to spend to long in the car.

Robb

Associate
Having five kids, I know how long car journeys can be stressful. You might like to consider drugging them.

Having said that it's not been too bad to drive to western France or Holland. Devon is great, especially if you know a small secluded beach. The Gara Rock hotel near Salcombe has it's own private beach and there's enough sand, pools and rocks to keep everyone happy.

How about Carmarthen? There's some spectacular scenery and great beaches.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to stuff the family into the Espace and head off the Chamonix for a bit of camping.

Permabanned
We spent a few great days in the Isle of Wight during the Easter hols. We were sitting on the beach when the mainland had snow!!

We stayed in a cottage on a farm (Nettlecombe farm), with loads of tame animals for the kids to stroke and feed. Plus there was a great play area with loads of stuff for them to do. The beaches are great, especially the ones where you can dig for fossils and there's loads to see and do on the island for all ages. The children on our trip varied from 17 to just under a year and no-one was bored.

Associate
I'm with Yermum - a cottage on a farm is great for kids. Remember taking mine when they were young in Devon somewhere so was close to beaches. We watched a calf being born, watched the milking, and they helped the farmer's wife collect the eggs in the morning too. If we were stuck indoors or in the car during the day we used to go for a stroll with the farm dog in the early evenings. The fresh air always ensured a good nights sleep for them and us!! Awwww I'm gonna go and get the photos out now and do some reminiscing :D

A holiday camp is another good idea, usually plenty going on for the little 'uns.

Associate
Devon and Brittany get's my vote - I preferred the Brittany trip as the boat ride was a nice break from driving, and the kids loved the boat.

Edit: There are some nice campsites in Brittany, a stones throw from nice beaches. Book direct with the campsites if you do, and save loads.

Back
Top Bottom