Severe Weather?

Soldato
Hi everyone.

Has anyone on here experienced any really severe weather like Hurricanes or Tornadoes?

I personally was smack bang in the centre of Hurricane Charlie 2004 when it hit Florida. I've always been facinated by severe weather so for me to be in the middle of a Hurricane was a great experience.

We perhaps didn't realise the potential danger of a Hurricane being British, as we were all still round the pool drinking beers and swimming whilst it was going off. Looking back now, I'd have probably taken more pre-caution :p

So share your stories!

Man of Honour
The most severe weather I've been in was also in Florida. It was in the middle of one of the daily thunderstorms they get, and we were walking between the Swan and Dolphin hotel under a canopy (only about 2-300 yards apart). The thunder and lighting were very intense and very close, as instead of the lightning followed by the clap of thunder a couple of seconds later, they were almost simultaneous. Then as we neared the Dolphin, we went almost blind and deaf at the same time as the lightning flashed brighter than I've ever seen, and the thunder cracked at the very same time, so it was literally right on top of us. We got into the hotel very quickly!

Soldato
OP
We also had some bad thunderstorms in Florida. Nothing like what you've just described but it was fork lightening that literally filled the sky, as in spread out across it. That was amazing.

Its a shame we don't get storms like that in the UK.

Soldato
i remember there was a small twister, or tail of one in Southend a few years back when i was a lot younger, destroyed my school roof, well part of it.

Anyway we expereince really bad winds afterwards and i was holding onto the buggy with my sister in it and i was litteraly flying it was so windy :D

Soldato
OP
ben_j_davis said:
Believe there for a F1 Tornado that touched down about 5 miles from my house, obviously that nothing that spectacular but seeing i live in the South East of England, its pretty amazing.

That is one thing I would love to go and see. I'd go tornado chasing tomorrow if I could :D

Associate
Not severe as such but more strange that anything.

drove from our local store back home which is about 1 mile. When we left it was sunny then:

slight rain then ...
very heavy rain then ...
heavy snow followed by ..
thunder & lightning and snow then ..
then slight snow ..
then light rain ...

then sunshine again when we pulled into our drive.

That was the strangest weather I have ever experienced... but boy was it cool !!! :D

Caporegime
1987 hurricane!

Hell of a storm then several days without electricity. Knocked over a walnut tree down in our garden too. My dad had to hack away at the truck then he and some neighbours pulled it down in the right direction.

Associate
It never was and still isn't classified as a hurricane ;)

last night was pretty severe here. I'll be go storm chasing(in the USA) in a few years which will be even better :D

Soldato
When i was on holiday in Austria Westendorf, around 6-7pm there was a massive thunder storm, fork lightining came down & almost touched the road about 100yds away from the hotel & the clap of thunder was like 4 bombs mebbie more going off together. My dad jumped a mile lol :)

Soldato
While in Sri Lanka we sat and watched a Monsoon.

We watched it come in off the sea from the horizon and waited for it to hit. When it did it was like nothing ive ever witnessed. The sheer volume of rain and the strength of the wind was amazing to see.

Nature is a strange phenomenon. Often kind but then at times ferocious.

Man of Honour
Think the closest i've ever been to extreme weather was being in a car that was hit by lightning. Was a really cool, yet brown trousers moment.

A flash and the bang at the same time gets the senses going.

Soldato
Steameh said:
I love this forum! You can almost guarantee to get some idiotic reply :p.

ja , trees got sick loosing their leaves in may , animals go mad cause of the never seen before drop in temperatures,birds loose their orientation, crops fail to grow etc very idiotic indeed .

Soldato
I remember being blown into a pond in the '87 gales when I was a wee 5 year old :D

Was in Cape Canaveral in Florida last year when Wilma hit (I think that was the one), that was awesome, the thunderstorms were amazing, sat on the beach and watched it get windeh till retreated, then all the power was down the next day so sat in our hotel rooms and slowly got drunk on the cases of beer we'd bought the day before :D

Caporegime
Yup went tornado chasing a few yrs ago with my brother, just after he moved to Canada. Flew down to oklahoma and met up with some guys who do it for a living. Suffice to say some of the tornadoes we saw were simply awe-inspiring and very scary. Good thing we were a fair distance away though....would have killed to see a force 5 tornado but thankfully nothing like that turned up that day...would have hated to see the sort of damage that would have caused.

Got pics of that trip somewhere, ill see if i can find them and post them up.

Back
Top Bottom