Am I going bonkers - possible to network optical drives?

Soldato
Well I'm in a predicament now. I need to create a backup of my Thinkpad's Recovery Partition. The software required ThinkVantage Rescue and Recovery allows you to do this and this is the only program which can do so. Well, I ran the program and it only gives the option of backing up to CD (my T41 doesn't have a DVD/CD-RW as it only has the DVD-ROM bay). Anyway, I thought, OK, I'll use the USB Hard drive option but unfortunately it doesn't recognise my NW-HD5 (HD player) as an option. IBM in their infinite wisdom didn't allow for the creation of an image either! I don't particularly want to have to oay for Recsue and Recovery CD's as this isn't very specific to each thinkpad, only a general version.

So - it is possible to share my desktop's DVD-RW drive with the laptop via my home network so that I can use it?

I tried sharing the root of the drive then mapping the drive in the Thinkpad but this did nothing but create a folder called DVD-RW.

Am I trying in vain or is this possible?

Associate
you can burn off image to disks using the "create restore disks" option from the windows install. it will take around seven cd's, no dvd option i believe. then when you run those it will wipe whatever you have on your hdd and replace the 4gb hidden partition too.

hope that helps.

Soldato
OP
pinkegobox said:
you can burn off image to disks using the "create restore disks" option from the windows install. it will take around seven cd's, no dvd option i believe. then when you run those it will wipe whatever you have on your hdd and replace the 4gb hidden partition too.

hope that helps.
Hmm, sounds like a plan - thanks.

Back
Top Bottom