Leaving car in gear

Associate
I only park mine in gear when im parking on a steep hill ... wouldnt want the handbrake to fail and for it to go for a ride all by itself.

Soldato
If a car is left in gear, its generally because the hand brake isnt very good and so keeps it from rolling.

I hardly ever leave mine in gear, just on rare occasions when im parked on a very steep hill.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Bare in mind it's quite easy for a couple of blokes to push a car when the handbrake is on, it's also quite easy for a couple of drunk jokers to push your car out into the road too. When it's left in 1st they won't be able to.

Soldato
Jonny69 said:
Bare in mind it's quite easy for a couple of blokes to push a car when the handbrake is on, it's also quite easy for a couple of drunk jokers to push your car out into the road too. When it's left in 1st they won't be able to.

Or they will, but in doing so, will damage the car. I left my old fiesta in gear once at college, came back to find the car had been moved out of the marked space and left in the middle of the 'road' part of the car park.

A bit narked, I got in and drove off. On the way out of the college car park however, when accelerating away from the zebra crossing and changing into 2nd gear, the driveshaft snapped, and left me needing a tow truck.

I was less than amused! :mad:

Associate
gam3r said:
Why do some people leave their car in 1st gear when parked sometimes? I thought that was bad to do?

Anyone clear this up? ;)

I have always left my car in 1st, with the handbrake on.

Why would this be bad?

Only thing I can think of (I'm no mechanic) is that someone else might get into your car and try to start it without checking it was in neutral.

Soldato
I always leave mine in gear, regardless of where it is. Even on modern cars it's worth doing too - leaving your handbrake on (if it operates on the disc) when you've been out for a hard run will cause the disc to warp at the point where the pads grip it as heat soak gets to it.

Soldato
Always leave mine in gear if on anything other than a totally flat surface.

The only problem with it is remembering it's in gear before starting it again but I always waggle the stick to make sure it's in neutral and depress the clutch before starting, don't even think about this anymore, I just do both things automatically.

Soldato
Mine is always left in gear.

If for nothing else, VW will not allow u to claim damages if your handbrake fails unless your car is in gear - in which case there will be no damages to claim :D

P.S. Don't believe me, check your car manual.

Soldato
AS_Platinum said:
I always leave my car in 3rd gear, find it still rolls in 1st if i leave the handbrake off.
that's physically impossible.
to illustrate try bump starting a car in 3rd then again in first and see which makes it easier to overcome lack of combustion.
if it rolls in first it'll roll in every other subsequent gear more easily.

Back
Top Bottom