• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Just fitted an Artic Silencer to a 68GT and

Associate
The difference really is unbelievable compare to the rubbish xfx heatsink that came with it.
Yesterday in the heat it was running desktop at 90 degrees and games at 110, not good, so I took the plunge and fitted a artic silencer 5 to it. Couldnt be easier really, hardest part was finding the right size screw driver to take off the old one.

Once it was off I could see the cause , the hs totally blocked from the fan by dust but off it went anyway.

Now its fitted (easilly) i'm idling at 50 , 3d at 60 degrees (normally before it would hit 80 on 3d easilly, 65 on idle), and it's quiet as I want it to be now 3d or not.

Worthwhile for anybody to do , only 20 quid and effortless.

Slim

Soldato
Yup the silencer / 6800GT combo is excellent. Although tbh I never had issues with the stock heatsink when I had one, just fancied a change.

kdd

kdd

Soldato
3rd party hs/f are the way to go tbh, my 7800 gtx with the standard cooler idles at 75, with the 512 version fitted it idles at 39 and nver goes above 55.

Associate
OP
V-true. Personally I was disgusted with the xfx cooler. This was one of the first 6800gt's around, bought when they launched for nigh on 3 ton and it's a disgrace by all accounts when you take off the plastic cover. Aluminum HS on a 300 quid card, man they need to learn some respect. At least my mates 68gt had the big copper HS and fan on it.

Slim

Associate
I got one of the first 6800GT's that came out (in fact first to put pictures up on here of one many moons ago), almost £300 :mad: But its still working fine. 55 idle and 65 full load. Still a good card imho. Nice to know its not hard to do if needs be but, cheers!

Associate
OP
So is mine, not tried it out with something like oblivion, but it still keeps me happy enough

And it still rips apart 6600's for fun (not that they are great or anything), so all in all I'm still happy (i'm not an upgrade every 6 months man as you can tell).

Slim

Back
Top Bottom