Swimming.

R^T

R^T

Associate
I am ganna take swimming back up soon and just wondering how many of you are regular swimmers?

Whats your favourite style? (breast strolke? doggy paddle?)

and is it true swimming is a good way to increase body mass?

I heard it is the sport that uses the most muscles, true?

Thanks

Soldato
This is probably better off in Sports Arena. Swimming is good cardiovascular excercise, it'll make you fit and lean, but it's unlikely you're going to build a lot of bulk. For that you'd need a regimented weights routine and a good dietry plan.

Ant :cool:

Soldato
It is a very good exercise to do as it is fullbody, I really enjoy swimming but I'm not tolerable to swimming in breast stroke because it's too slow for me! I just bash down 2 lengths of front crawl at ultra high speed then rest or slowly make my way back. :p

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I think trampolining uses more muscles than swimming. Sorry to pee on your chips :D

RandomTom said:
It is a very good exercise to do as it is fullbody, I really enjoy swimming but I'm not tolerable to swimming in breast stroke because it's too slow for me! I just bash down 2 lengths of front crawl at ultra high speed then rest or slowly make my way back. :p
Make your way back where? Surely you have ended up where you started if you have done two lengths :p

Associate
Swimming is very good as its non-impact, it will help with your lung capacity too, I swam all through my childhood and I can hold my breath for ten minutes!

/Guybrush Threepwood

Permabanned
Excersise is great at burning calories and excersising the whole body, even your fingers and toes.

Probably why I'm always starving when I get out of the pool.

Permabanned
Ah... swimming. One of the best forms of exercise available.

Haven't been for absolutely ages but I may start again.

Suspended
Roduga said:
Isn't it at just under 9 minutes at the moment? I'm pretty sure you need pure oxygen to break the 10 minute barrier.

Doesn't your brain die after about 4 mins? I just tried holding my breath and I get to about 2 mins and 42 secs! :(

Soldato
Exactly. And if your heart slowed enough, and you used very few parts of your body (no dancing), you last even longer. Hence freedivers take ages to slow everything down.

Doing a quick google, it seems the longest period (after using 100% oxygen) is over 12 minutes. Now that is a long time!

Associate
Swimming is generally poor compared to running/cycling/cross-trainer if you're looking for the most effective way of losing weight/getting fit.

It is easy on the joints though.

Back
Top Bottom