Should 360's run that hot ?

Soldato
Hey all, got my new 360, is under telly, but the back of its like 50c (very warm, bordering on hot) to touch at the back of it when I finished playin DOA4, this normal ? :confused: :D

Thought they could cope being under tellys in telly cupboard things, me thinks it needs more airflow, or out in open anyways

SCM

SCM

Associate
Mines is running hot as well so to cool it have my pedastal fan i use for cooling me pointing at the 360 when i am using it. Seems to cool it down a treat.

SCM

Soldato
Remember it's also been hotter than usual over the past week, so that might contribute to 360's feeling a tad warmer.

Soldato
Mines too bloody hot and far too noisy. When I put it in the hifi rack with the rest of my equipment I ended up with graphical glitches in PGR3 which really annoyed me, they were just like i've seen with overheating graphics cards.

I must say I'm tempted to sell it the noise alone is driving me crazy although its a very good console the racket interferes with my enjoyment :(

MB

Soldato
Matblack said:
Mines too bloody hot and far too noisy. When I put it in the hifi rack with the rest of my equipment I ended up with graphical glitches in PGR3 which really annoyed me, they were just like i've seen with overheating graphics cards.

I must say I'm tempted to sell it the noise alone is driving me crazy although its a very good console the racket interferes with my enjoyment :(

MB

Please do sell it and keep the money in savings for a PS3. ;) (i wonder why people the 360 anyway)

Soldato
ElRazur said:
Please do sell it and keep the money in savings for a PS3. ;) (i wonder why people the 360 anyway)

Please stop posting this drivel.

MB, might be worth having a word with MS? You should certainly not be suffering graphics glitches although there were a couple of spots in PGR3 where it appeared as if there were texture problems on the track, maybe it's just that?

Soldato
wyrdo said:

MB, might be worth having a word with MS? You should certainly not be suffering graphics glitches although there were a couple of spots in PGR3 where it appeared as if there were texture problems on the track, maybe it's just that?

These were proper plane issues, massive jagged triangles sticking out of and through the tracks :(

MB

Soldato
Matblack said:
These were proper plane issues, massive jagged triangles sticking out of and through the tracks :(

MB

Just put it on a flat surface of it's own, its not really suited to going in a rack or other type of cabinet, as much as a PITA that is.

Soldato
Nismo said:
Just put it on a flat surface of it's own, its not really suited to going in a rack or other type of cabinet, as much as a PITA that is.

These are open shelves but I've put it on top for now and will be putting my turntable into storage and putting on the top long term, maybe on some acoustic feet to reduce the noise if possible

MB

Soldato
wyrdo said:

?

Im only giving my view and i still dont know why or i dont see the need for a 360, ive never liked them and im not about to now.
Limited choice of games, technical issues and various thread of "My 360 died" are just some of the reason why i refuse to pay for one, i havent seen a brand new console breakdown/have many technical issues like that before. That's my view and im sticking to it.

PS
I aint starting no fanboy war please.

Soldato
ElRazur said:
Im only giving my view and i still dont know why or i dont see the need for a 360, ive never liked them and im not about to now.
Limited choice of games, technical issues and various thread of "My 360 died" are just some of the reason why i refuse to pay for one, i havent seen a brand new console breakdown/have many technical issues like that before. That's my view and im sticking to it.

PS
I aint starting no fanboy war please.

Lol, i'll prob buy both again and do the same as last time, sell the one that doesn't do homebrew, i'm guessing the ps3!

My 360 used to run very hot in a tv cabinet with the back on it, i pulled the back off the cabinet and now even after it being on all day the top of the 360 is cool, warm air out of the back but that to be expected.

Last edited:
Soldato
dirtydog said:
3rd party cooling should not be needed on a console. I wonder if the incidences of failing 360s will increase when summer arrives.

It's not needed though, its just an option. Same as the coolers you can buy for other consoles, not needed but I'm sure companys like Nyko like to cash in on peoples worries :p

Regarding your point about the summer, there do seem to have been a few 360's break on the forum over the past week, and its not impossible that this is related to the rise in temperature weather-wise.

Soldato
Nismo said:
Regarding your point about the summer, there do seem to have been a few 360's break on the forum over the past week, and its not impossible that this is related to the rise in temperature weather-wise.

Hmmm on that note im thinking perhaps not enough rigourouss testing in terms of high temperature was done? If the temp is like this, and loads are breaking up already i wonder if any will survive in the tropical country?

I remember watching Gadgets (the programme) on channel 5 where B&O tv where tested at extremes of temperature and funny enough it works. Now that's the kind of test MS should have done i think.

Soldato
ElRazur said:
Hmmm on that note im thinking perhaps not enough rigourouss testing in terms of high temperature was done? If the temp is like this, and loads are breaking up already i wonder if any will survive in the tropical country?

Whoa, can I get a mis-quote?

I never said 'loads', and its also possible that the temperature outside has nothing to do with it. I never stated it as a hard fact.

I hardly think they would have overlooked high-temp testing.

Permabanned
The symptoms MB describes, if it was a PC I would be saying it's the graphics card overheating, possibly because the heatsink isn't making a good enough contact with the GPU. So whether his 360 is faulty or whether moving the console to a better location will solve it, remains to be seen :)

Back
Top Bottom