Questions to do with converting my version of Windows.

Permabanned
I currently have a version on Windows XP Pro installed that had a CD Key which MS regards as illegal. My university has provided us with a legal Win XP Pro ISO which I presume has a legit CD Key embedded into it.

I'd like to convert my old XP into a 100% legal XP, what is the best way of doing this?

Upgrading XP or installing fresh or repairing?

I don't have a blank CD Key to hand so I'd preferably like to do it all through Windows.

Thanks for any advice.

sfx

sfx

Associate
If they are both Pro retail you can just change the CD key, you will not have to re-install. Search google for how to do this.

sfx

Soldato
if you dont want to format and lose everything, couldn't you just install the Uni one on a separate partition or something so you had a dual boot, then use the magical jelly bean keyfinder (http://www.magicaljellybean.com/) to find out the key. Then put that into the windows you're using now. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328874).

I don't know if this would work, but it's the kind of thing I would try.

Soldato
As far as I'm aware there's no way for a CD-key to be "embedded" into the ISO. Unless they've just added a file with it there as a text file or something. Check whether that's definitely correct.

sfx

sfx

Associate
You can include it on the disk with an unattended setup file. Also it is not the ISO the is elegal it is the CD Key your are using that is.

sfx

Soldato
PinkPig said:
As far as I'm aware there's no way for a CD-key to be "embedded" into the ISO. Unless they've just added a file with it there as a text file or something. Check whether that's definitely correct.

It's simple to setup XP with a key and then make an .ISO to use.
I do it often. Nlite also uses a similar method.

Open the .ISO with Winrar or similar.
Explore that until you find the file called winnt.sif.
If it's there then the key will be in that file.
If the file is not there then it won't be embedded.

Man of Honour
sfx said:
You can include it on the disk with an unattended setup file. Also it is not the ISO the is elegal it is the CD Key your are using that is.

sfx

Actually, he's not breaking the law in any way.

The CD key has nothing to do with the legality of the product its purely a technical means to prove it. As long as he has a licence to the product he is using, he can use any disc and any key.

Burnsy

sfx

sfx

Associate
burnsy2023 said:
Actually, he's not breaking the law in any way.

The CD key has nothing to do with the legality of the product its purely a technical means to prove it. As long as he has a licence to the product he is using, he can use any disc and any key.

Burnsy
Only as long as the Key matches the product i.e. XP Pro Retail

sfx

sfx

sfx

Associate
burnsy2023 said:
Legally you can, but technically you can't. That was my point.

Sorry, I might have been assuming too much.

Burnsy
No you can't. If you have Windows XP Pro VLK disk, you need a VLK Key, you cannot use a Windows XP Pro or Home Key with that disk.

sfx

Man of Honour
sfx said:
No you can't. If you have Windows XP Pro VLK disk, you need a VLK Key, you cannot use a Windows XP Pro or Home Key with that disk.

sfx

Like I just said, that is a technical issue with the installation and mandatory activation. It has nothing to do with your right to use the software.

Burnsy

Back
Top Bottom