• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SLi PSU?

Soldato
Im about to get a second 7800GTX. Would this be ok for SLi with my rig or do I need something more powerful? Tagan TG430-U15 430W ATX2.01 Easycon SLi Compliant Modular Silent PSU (CA-007-TG)

Soldato
MoNkEyMiKeY said:
What about a hiper 580W?

in a word, no

they are not quiet and have large current droops under load, stick with the tagan.

also, people who say you NEED a 500+w psu need to do some power usage reserch, i made an sli rig the other day for a friend using 7900gtx's and an x2 and it doesnt comsume more than 389w dual load and graphics loaded, and for the books i used a 430w easycon :).

however, though it isnt needed i would advise it, the 480w tagan 2force or the seasonic 500w are superb choices.

Associate
The Hiper 580w has done the job in my experiance (in fact they sell themselves as SLi certified). I've got a friend running 2 7800gtxs with one. I am using one myself too and I fully expect it to handle 2 7900gts if and when i get a second.

Not sure if they'd handle a high powered crossfire set up, but SLi shouldn't be a problem.

Associate
hp7909 said:
From a rough estimation of your system (SLI'd) it might consume 480w~700w!!!

I cant believe a system would ever consume 700W, mabe a huge server or a supercomputer but for a PC I think this is an exaggeration.

What would a system need to consume 700W ??!

Soldato
OP
Ok Ive decided to get the tagan 580W TG530-U15. Ive found it for £77 inc P+P. But hey don't have any in stock at the moment so it'll have to wait for now.

Soldato
Memnoch said:
I cant believe a system would ever consume 700W, mabe a huge server or a supercomputer but for a PC I think this is an exaggeration.

What would a system need to consume 700W ??!
Form that website, if you factor in 'compensation' & 'aging', any system will eventually consume more than stated. Besides, they do make 700w even 1100w PSUs, don't they? And it can't just be for nothing/futerproofing :confused:

Associate
I know it's been mentioned many times before in different ways but it does seem PSUs are a frequent topic:

You don't buy a 600-1100w PSU because your system actually uses that much total, you buy one because you need higher power on specific rails, in this case you want higher 12v amps (watts).

Thankfully this seems to be less of an issue now anyway with newer PSUs mostly having an increased share of the total watts on the 12v.

I'd think a Enermax Liberty 500w or Tagan 530w would be fine for pretty much anything except a Crossfire or Quad SLI setup.

A note again about the often mentioned Hiper PSU. To compare, the Enermax Liberty 400w looks to be equal to it in any system where 12v is the mainly used rail, ie. any new system.

Back
Top Bottom