NTL 10meg allowance changing from 75Gb to unlimited

Associate
Don't think I've exceeded it, but yay nonetheless :)
Can't find any other source (haven't looked that hard mind you) but I got an email from ntl 30 mins ago indicating that the usage allowance limit for 10 meg is being removed :)

Soldato
Wish they would bring ntl over to my road, i had enouh of the max dsl rubbish how does ntl work, do u get the full 10 meg speed ?

Soldato
Jabbs said:
Wish they would bring ntl over to my road, i had enouh of the max dsl rubbish how does ntl work, do u get the full 10 meg speed ?
I don't, i hardly ever ever get over 500kb/s, and that's with a download manager using multiple connections. With a single connection using the firefox downloader i rarely see above 400kb/s :(

Soldato
Jabbs said:
Thats more due to he net though i would think, most of the time i have trouble getting it to max out the 3 meg i get on max.
I get 1050kb/s from Blueyonder FTP which is the fastest i've seen it yet and the only time i've ever seen it even near 1000kb/s.

Soldato
My NTL is pretty good. During the evenings my speeds tend to drop down to 600/700KB/sec but in late evenings and overnight/early morning I easily max out at 1250KB/sec.

Soldato
RichieUK said:
It's good that they're removing the cap but they will be introducing traffic shaping to their network in the near future :( :mad:

Where did you hear this?

There was mention of traffic shaping on their website, but this was removed within a day after the cableforum spotted it and brought it to public attention.

Associate
Dave2150 said:
Where did you hear this?

There was mention of traffic shaping on their website, but this was removed within a day after the cableforum spotted it and brought it to public attention.

I can't find the thread on CableForum now. Although NTL removed the traffic shaping information from their site, people have said NTL/Telewest have already purchased traffic shaping hardware. I wouldn't of thought they'd buy it then not implement it because a thread was made about it and a few people got angry.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/249/ntl-u-turn-on-traffic-shaping-for-now

There's a bit more info there... it seems inevitable

Soldato
I expect traffic shaping sometime in the summer now thanks to this move, there's no way the NTL network could cope with true unlimited 10Mb. The only place I seem to get full speed is on FilePlanet using their download manager with everywhere else averaging about 100-200kb/s.

Soldato
afraser2k said:
I expect traffic shaping sometime in the summer now thanks to this move, there's no way the NTL network could cope with true unlimited 10Mb. The only place I seem to get full speed is on FilePlanet using their download manager with everywhere else averaging about 100-200kb/s.

Most places where I download i get 800kb/s as a minimum :confused:

Associate
OP
RichieUK said:
It's good that they're removing the cap but they will be introducing traffic shaping to their network in the near future :( :mad:

That is very true actually, I never thought about that :( There is indeed no way they could cope.
I, as I said in my first post, do not ever reach my 75 Gb each month but the stuff that I do download, it's maxed at 1200-odd kb/s and I'd rather have flat-out limited downloads than unlimited but shaped traffic.

Back
Top Bottom