2.1mm male to 2.1mm male power cable?

Suspended
First of all I'll get the obvious "2.1mm male" joke out of the way :D

I have a power supply unit that has 5 2.1mm power feeds coming off it, male to male. Unfortunately the 5 cables I have aren't long enough - I know this sounds daft, but is there anywhere I can buy 2.1m male to male power cabling at various lengths?

Its just for powering small 9v devices.

Please bear in mind the competitor rules so don't explicity name companies that sell stuff OcUK do :)

Thanks

Soldato
Just had a look for made up leads on the electronics supplier I use (rapid) and can't seem to find them, though if you're a dab hand with a soldering iron, then some speaker cable and these http://www.rapidelectronics.co.uk/r...CAT_CODE=30196&STK_PROD_CODE=M28838&XPAGENO=3 and make your own (they take a bit of practice before you can solder them easily, but after you have done a few you can do them quite quickly)

Or use these: http://www.rapidelectronics.co.uk/r...CAT_CODE=30196&STK_PROD_CODE=M28541&XPAGENO=3 to extend the leads that you already have

Suspended
OP
Yeah, its suprisingly difficult to find what I want :(

5 metres? Jesus, the ones I have are 30cm, I wanted to extend to 1m at most :D

How do you solder the connections to the actual plug? Is there some secret way of getting access to the positive and negative ends inside the shielding?

Soldato
Chronos-X said:
How do you solder the connections to the actual plug? Is there some secret way of getting access to the positive and negative ends inside the shielding?

The cover unscrews and you slide that down wire, separate the wires a little, strip them, scratch the coating off the contacts on the plug off with a penknife, tin the wires, find someway to restrain the plug (I usually grip a spare matching socket in a helping hands thing) and plug it into that, and do the same to the contacts, then all you have to do is heat a tinned connection and pop a tinned wire into it and hold it until it cools, do the same with the other one, then push the wire into the grip at the back and flatten it with pliers.

I don't bother with the hole in the contact that goes to the body of the plug, just ignore it and solder the wire somewhere between it and the front of the plug. oh and a little electricial tape to stop it shorting is a good idea

Its not really something you can learn from it being explained, its something that you'll struggle with at first, and then when you have done a few can begin to do quite quickly. Oh and a good quality soldering iron is a good idea, it doesn't need to be an expensive one, just something decent, like a 18w antex (costs about £12 iirc), rather than some crap thing from the DIY store

Back
Top Bottom