SN25p watercooled?

Permabanned
What are the chances of my being able to watercool my newly arriving shuttle.

How much room is there in the top of the case. im not sure what the layout is atm.

the rad/fan would stick out of the top if possible and i'd blend it in with filler and do a full respray.

Tom

Soldato
slim to none..... at the back (by the fans) you have about 2 inch dept before you reach the PSU... but if you have 2 HDDs at the top then there is a few mm to the top of the case..
Not seen a watercooled SN25P tbh.

Soldato
someone watercooled one on here a while ago now. it was all internal and gave pretty good temps. cant remember who it was though :( but i think they sold it shortly after??

i remember he modded the front with one of them LCD screens (the matrix orbital ones i think it was), he were planning on putting it behind the front plastic hoping it would be translucent enough to see the display behind it, but it wasnt so he had to cut out a square to put it in

Associate
Goksly said:
slim to none..... at the back (by the fans) you have about 2 inch dept before you reach the PSU... but if you have 2 HDDs at the top then there is a few mm to the top of the case..

yep........... no arguments there

Permabanned
OP
ps2wizz said:
no but i would to see the result if someone had the brains to pull it off

Well watch this space then.

if it ever turns up :rolleyes: .

cant see it being too difficult. Just gonna have some extras on top which i hope to incorporate into the case with some nice filler and a total respray.

Tom

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

It could be easier (and sexier) to run a few pipes in through the back of an unused PCI-slot opening :cool:

Permabanned
OP
EVH said:
It could be easier (and sexier) to run a few pipes in through the back of an unused PCI-slot opening :cool:

maybe yea :).

external watercooling (zalman res etc) is just selling out and down right ugly IMO.

Tubes out of the back into a top mounted Rad could be nice though

Tom

Associate
well if people can fit watercooling into a G chassis (like me, only my res is on top of the case but that’s unecessary as a t-line would be sufficent) a P chassis should be easier but then again may not be. I think i've seen a SN26P watercooled (CPU & 2x GPU) somewhere

Soldato
you wont have any problem watercooling it :)

if i remember rightly, sniper had the rad at the top where you put the 2 hard drives with a bit of a blowhole for the fan on the rad, had the cd drive under that and i think he put his hard drive under that.

Associate
I did it the other month... It was a HELL of a squeeze though.

Here is a brief description of how I created my bodged frankenstein PC, maybe Ill post some pics when Im at home later.

My PC:

SN25P
AMD 3500+
Mushkin Special 2x512Mb 2-2-2
Sapphire X700 Pro
DVD-RW
Maxtor 120Gb
Maxtor 300Gb
Hitach 400Gb

I initially planned to have the CPU, RAM, Chipset and VGA watercooled, but after looking at the space I had to deal with decided that the chipset was fine as it was.

I bought a complete kit that was the smallest I knew that I could buy (small pump, 80mm radiator and cpu block). I already had a Zalman VGA block and Koolance RAM water cooling. I had to buy a couple of 90 degree connectors because as you may suspect, the top of the RAM and CPU cooling get very cozy with the mounting for the floppy and DVD drives.

The first thing you realise is that not all the watercooling components will fit in the PC, and so I had to mount the 80mm radiator outside the PC.

The best place is to make your PC look like some sort of rocket by mounting the radiator where the PSU fan blows out. This meant I had to mod my case and mobo alittle... ie drill a hole in my case where one of the HD fans are and totally remove my COM port from my motherboard.

The pump was mounted underneath the PSU and the radiator was placed where the intake for the CPU air would normally be.

The VGA was easy to mount on my X700 Pro (yes they still exist).

The worst thing ever in my limited knowlegde of building a PC was getting the CPU and RAM cooling connected together. There is only about 15mm clearance between the connnections and the mounting for the drives, and after many hours of building it and finding a leak, rebuilding finding a leak, I just got out some Epoxy Resin and made sure those pipes couldnt leak at all.

Alas I did it, and although it is not as quiet as the original SN25P that doesnt matter as I keep it under my bed.

My CPU FSB is only at 225MHz (RAM doesnt run any higher at 2-2-2-5 than that) and underload this will produce temps of ~54C.

I mainly use my PC for encoding nowadays and I probably wouldnt recommend anyone watercool a shuttle that has any graphics card higher than a X1800 as my X700 is only rated at about 80W whereas one of the newer X1900XT cards I hear are about 150W, so it maybe hard to get rid of that extra heat. Maybe Ill steal my mates X1900XT-X sometime to test this.

Pictures of my violated PC to follow if anyone wants to see...

---

Oh and I forgot, there is no universal mounting that fits the SN25P, so Ive been allittle "creative" (my friend calls it madness) on how I attached the CPU to the mobo.

Everyone knows that kitchen wire which is coated with plastic used for sandwich bags...

Last edited:
Soldato
Danamic said:
The pump was mounted underneath the PSU and the radiator was placed where the intake for the CPU air would normally be.
The problem with that is, unless you have an extremely small rad (which wont be able to cool cpu and gpu) - then you will have to exclude all gfx cards from choice except a very weak one or maybe the 7900GT.

If it can be done, I will most likely question either the performance or the practicality. Fair play to Danamic - I certainly would have said it couldnt be done with 3 HDD's in there...

Permabanned
OP
yea, 3 hdd's, thats pretty packed.

I only have 2 so the area above the psu is unlocked for a 120mm rad.

either an x850 or an x1900 ;).

might start it all next week. should be good.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom