Laying down pipe for networking flat?

Soldato
id10T_error said:
CAT6 Has better earthing/shielding (ie separator) CAT5/5E which is important to prevent crosstalk which is a big issue when using Gigabit on a fast setup (10/15k Drives and RAID-setups)
The first part made sense about crosstalk, but then the reasoning (RAID, SCSI etc throughput) made no sense at all. Crosstalk is a problem where you've got a load of cables running in parallel (i.e. a cable duct). That's why data centres use CAT6 (and sometimes 7) in their ducting.

Just having a couple cables running parallel for your home network is fine. You need hundreds before crosstalk becomes a problem...

Cat5e is all a home needs.

The "13% utilisation" problem somebody mentioned about GigE is probably because they were using PCI GigE cards purchased for £20.

Permabanned
NathanE said:
The first part made sense about crosstalk, but then the reasoning (RAID, SCSI etc throughput) made no sense at all.

Of course it makes sense :rolleyes:
The faster the data is travelling then the greater chance of crosstalk happening!! Hence why their is a longitudinal separator in CAT6 cable and not CAT5/5E cable!!

NathanE said:
You need hundreds before crosstalk becomes a problem...

Complete and utter RUBBISH!! You can get crosstalk within the cable itself between the four twisted pairs :rolleyes:

So yes what I said makes perfect sense to someone who knows what their talking about :p

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi,
Well I have my 100m cable roll, puncher tool, 1 wall plate and connectors. I just had a quick go with a bit of cable and putting the cable into the wall plate. It seem pretty easy but the inner wires are pretty fragile, I rushed taking off the outer sleeve to get to the wires and managed to slightly cut one of the coloured cables and eventually it broke off - did better after my second go :)

One thing I noticed, the wall plate is unshielded according to the box - I haven't really found any shielded flush wall plates so will this cause any issues.

Thanks

Associate
If you are just cabling your house, I don't see that Cat6 is going to be that much better to justify the cost. If you are going to pop it in the walls, and you don't care about the cost (as seems normal around here), go for it, but it is stiffer, so think about the angles that you want the cable to traverse.

Back
Top Bottom