• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How much Artic Silver on Athlon X2's

Associate
the amount of paste to put on varies with the area to cover not the heat that is given out. Too much will have a negative effect on heat transfer.

Use exactly the same amount as for an amd 64 single core.

Associate
From what I gather, the thermal paste is only there to provide as much contact area as possible between two metal surfaces, both of which are not completely smooth (has various grooves due to being metal). In other words, you're not actually relying on the layer of AS5 between the two surfaces to conduct the heat, but instead using AS5 so that all the gaps on the metal surfaces are filled so that there is a larger surface area of contact between the two metals.

With that in mind, I've heard that thermal paste should be used very sparingly - for example, apparently you should still be able to read the label writing on the CPU surface after putting on AS5. I'd imagine that spreading it very thinly on the two surfaces should be enough (And I don't think there's any difference for single core vs. dual core)

Caporegime
jhmaeng said:
From what I gather, the thermal paste is only there to provide as much contact area as possible between two metal surfaces, both of which are not completely smooth (has various grooves due to being metal). In other words, you're not actually relying on the layer of AS5 between the two surfaces to conduct the heat, but instead using AS5 so that all the gaps on the metal surfaces are filled so that there is a larger surface area of contact between the two metals.

With that in mind, I've heard that thermal paste should be used very sparingly - for example, apparently you should still be able to read the label writing on the CPU surface after putting on AS5. I'd imagine that spreading it very thinly on the two surfaces should be enough (And I don't think there's any difference for single core vs. dual core)

I prefer a small blob in the middle and letting the pressure of the heatsink spread it out, you get a nice even contact and no trapped air.

Caporegime
untitled.jpg

Thats what a naked Opty 170 looks like (same size as your CPU), so aslong as you cover the area over the core you'll be fine.

Thanks to Agent WD40 who I stole the picture off.

Associate
i dont think it matters
the pressure of the heatsink will squeeze any excess out towards the sides
best not to put much on though, as explained above + to save money.

Back
Top Bottom