Why do car sellers do this?

GT3

GT3

Soldato
Been to look at 3 cars today which were described with such words as "immaculate", "stunning example", "showroom condition" and all were less than 5 years old.

Car No.1: Front bumper had a big chunk out of it, sideskirt was missaligned, lots of stonechips, scratches and dents. Ripped interior, gearknob was worn down to white. Apparantly full service history but he couldn't find the book.

Car No.2: Paint flaking off rear bumper to reveal a different colour, boot missaligned, new boot floor had been welded in, all service intervals had been missed by a long way, clocks showed 1300 miles on the odo (33k mile car). Knocking suspension, pieces of glass on parcel shelf and some parts of the bodykit were slightly different shades.

Car No.3: Bonnet was a different colour, arch liners were missing, knocking front suspension, squeaking rear beam, airbag light was lit up on dash, needed clutch release bearing, new brakes and new tyres.

Makes me appreciate what damn good condition my car was in despite being 3 years older than these and over double the mileage. What makes me mad is that I spent my whole day travelling over 150 miles to see all these cars which could have been avoided with "car needs slight attention" or similar in the advert. How the hell can they describe those cars as immaculate :confused:

Man of Honour
I've been to view so many cars described as "mint" including a matt white 205 with a St Tropez bodykit tacked on that was covered in moss from sitting on the guys drive whilst he'd been in prison.

It's bloody annoying. Just be honest!

Soldato
last summer i won a bid on e-bay for a new bonnet for my car before it was sprayed, it was listed as being in excellent condition.

When my dad got there he wouldn't buy it as it was pretty much scrap from what he told me, it was rotten.

Man of Honour
Lopéz said:
I've been to view so many cars described as "mint" including a matt white 205 with a St Tropez bodykit tacked on that was covered in moss from sitting on the guys drive whilst he'd been in prison.

It's bloody annoying. Just be honest!

Maybe the guy put a load of polos in the car? :p

Burnsy

GT3

GT3

Soldato
OP
Going to see another one today, apparantly in immaculate condition bar scuff on the bumper. Lets hope this ones a good one, its in a slightly OTT colour but I can live with it :D

100_0127.jpg

:cool:

GT3

GT3

Soldato
OP
olv said:
i'm confused. why did you sell yours if only to buy another one?

Because I do high mileage? I bought my last one on 46k miles and sold it on 70k while it was still worth something a year later and now Ive just bought one a couple of years newer with only 24k miles on it.

Soldato
Good call on selling the car with a reasonable mileage still on it. I'm having trouble looking for a GTi with low miles on it, so that in a couple of years of my high mileage, it won't be on 130k miles and unsellable!

Associate
GT3 said:
Sweet as a nut!
I'm quite a fan of that colour on the VTR/S/GTi, especially with the jet-black bumpers breaking it up. :cool:
Apart from the springs any other mods? Has it been breathed on?

"Shotgun" if you trek along to the next Mancy Meet! :p

GT3

GT3

Soldato
OP
Coco said:
Sweet as a nut!
I'm quite a fan of that colour on the VTR/S/GTi, especially with the jet-black bumpers breaking it up. :cool:
Apart from the springs any other mods? Has it been breathed on?

"Shotgun" if you trek along to the next Mancy Meet! :p

Its got a full 30mm lowering kit with dampers and springs but rear torsion bar is too low, so getting that sorted next week. Other than that its a standard 98bhp model. No engine mods sadly, I'll save having a fast car till next years clio sport ;)

Permabanned
Nice car for being 18. however when i had one it fell to bits due to the amazing build quality. Obviously you know aobut this / have never owned a non french car to buy another.

not to put a dampner on the post (its a very nice looking car)

...but it will fall to bits :p

! :D

Associate
I had this when looking for my Rover, just ended up paying over the odds for it because it was getting harder and harder to find people to drive me. Its just a waste of a day, so when you see a good 'en you really need to get it.

GT3

GT3

Soldato
OP
Jon Frost said:
Nice car for being 18. however when i had one it fell to bits due to the amazing build quality. Obviously you know aobut this / have never owned a non french car to buy another.

not to put a dampner on the post (its a very nice looking car)

...but it will fall to bits :p

! :D

Well must be something to do with the way the owners treat them ;) My last one didn't fall to bits, yeah it rattled a bit but oh well :p

Permabanned
GT3 said:
Well must be something to do with the way the owners treat them ;) My last one didn't fall to bits, yeah it rattled a bit but oh well :p

HEY! All cars should go sideways at some point in their life!
Its not my fault if I manage to hit the odd tree now and again! :D

Back
Top Bottom