Largest Single Plata drive?

Associate
Largest Single Platter drive?

Hi,
Need to replace my hard drive in my HTPC as it's started developing bad sectors.
Anyway being that it's for a HTPC I want it to be as quiet and cool running as possible. Either going to be a seagate or samsung, however what's the largest I can get with a single Platter drive?

Many Thanks...

Last edited:
Associate
Don't think so mate :) All the current 500gig models have 4 platters, although I think the Seagate .10s will have 3 (Perpendicular recording).

I really don't know of any single platter drives, Samsung Spinpoint are the drives of choice for most HTPCs, you really won't be able to hear them from a small distance. Go for a Spinpoint 250 or so.

Associate
OP
Clarkey said:
excuse me for asking a stupid question, but why would the number of platters make a difference?

My understanding is that less platter means fewer moving parts, which means less noise, heating etc

Associate
Fujitsu only seems to make capacities of up to 120GB so far, which is doable without perpendicular recording. It's the >120GB total capacity for laptop drives that needs a new recording technique, hence perpendicular. And of those currently out in the market, Seagate has the highest capacity (at least as far as I can tell).

Fujitsu is going to release 200GB 2.5in drives in 2007 - those also use perpendicular recording.

Associate
I'd say the 250gb spinpoint is the htpc hard drive of choice. Unless of course you are really serious about the going extreme low noise and power, in which case a laptop drive may be a better option. Saying that though - even 250gb gets filled very quickly if recording tv!

Marc

Back
Top Bottom