Repairing a broken crt?

Associate
Looks like my 20" iiyama crt has just stopped working. :(

Does anyone know any repair places in the London/South East area that offer a fixed price repair and a no repair no charge policy?

Any help appreiciated.

Soldato
You could probably pick up another off ebay for less than it'd cost to repair most CRT faults, but you may be lucky and it could be something very minor. When my last Iiyama CRT died last year it was judged uneconomical to repair it.

Try PC shops too, the smaller independant ones. They often do repairs.

Associate
It can take a lot of time and experience to diagnose problems with TV's and Monitors. Ok some faults can be done quickly but many require a couple of hours to find. Engineers need to earn a living like the rest of us so I think its unreasonable to expect a free diagnosis :rolleyes:

Associate
It may well be just an internal fuse but the chances are even if this was true something will of cause the fuse to go, very rarely does a fuse go without a reason, but please don’t poke around inside the monitor even with the mains disconnected because very high tension voltage will be stored.
There are very few services places left nowadays, and you can forget most computer shops they will know all the jargon, but when it comes to fault finding down to component level forget it, if you want it repaired start at the manufactures and ask them if they know of any approved services centres in you’re area, but the cost of computer components drop the moment it’s sold to you so repairs are rarely worth doing and even if it was a simple repair you could kiss goodbye to at least £50+ and also unless a standard component is at fault, spare just will not be available.
Good luck all the best.

Soldato
SkintATT said:
It can take a lot of time and experience to diagnose problems with TV's and Monitors. Ok some faults can be done quickly but many require a couple of hours to find. Engineers need to earn a living like the rest of us so I think its unreasonable to expect a free diagnosis :rolleyes:

I was a TV Engineer for about 4 years and what you said is true.

However trying to save yourself money by going somewhere that does free estimates hardly deserves a " :rolleyes: " in my book. :)

There *are* TV places that do free estimates because there is a demand for it and we all know that the time spent/ money spent on them is recouped in other ways. Ie. the bloke with a simple repair needed unfortunately ends up subsidising the other more time consuming repairs.

Associate
Exactly, I did 8 years as a fully qualifyed TV engineer and the industry basically went extinct because it became impossible to earn a living doing free estimates then aborting the job after quote. glad to say telecoms isnt quite as bad ;) . there will be a lot of disgruntaled users out there in a couple of years when the big expensive plasma screens start dieing. :eek:

Associate
Yeah I know. I much prefered working on AV equipment than boreing telephone systems. even though Siemens Kit is pretty Hi tech now.

I just hate all that cabling :mad:

Associate
can pick up the top ilyama or any other quality 22" crt on auction site for around £20-£40 squid !

almost makes you want to cry lol when looking back at spend of £600 on the beast 4 years ago !!

Sel

Sel

Associate
My 17" iiyama crt has started to fail also, I rang iiyama about 2years back and asked for a quote and it was way to expenisive.
As it happens the fault it had back then seemed to fix it's self but now I have a new fault, a sort of crack noise and a screen flash.
I've had this sort of fault before and belive it's a dry joint that needs re soldering. I fixed the last one myself even though I'm not an engineer.

I seem unlucky with monitors as all but one have had faults, I'm on my 5th now.

I still carn't seem to bring myself to buy an LCD, I mostly play Racing Sims where I need every FPS I can get. From what I've seen they seem to stutter a little and need Vsync enabling which can hurt FPS.

I thought about getting a 19" LCD as a backup but there seems to be so much info I carn't decide what to get.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom