Laptop Drive > 3.5"/5.25" Bay

Associate
Guys,

Have a spare laptop drive that i was going to use to run my HTPC system, with a larger 3.5" drive for storage.

Can i buy an adapter that will take the laptop drive but fit it into a 3.5" or 5.25" slot?

Also, do you think this will be any good for running an htpc or am i just aswell buying a couple of hundred gig drive and running the whole shooting match off one drive?

Cheers

Soldato
I don't see any problem with using a notebook HDD as your system drive. Works well enough in notebooks :D

In fact you're probably doing yourself a favour. The notebook drive should be much quieter and draw less power yadda yadda yadda.

Its also handy having your OS on a separate HDD in case you need to format etc. As for mounting it into a 3.5/5.25 inch bay... no idea im afraid.

SiriusB

Suspended
It'll be fine, I'm sitting here with my new HTPC albeit it's naked with no case, 20GB Toshiba with a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adaptor. Dunno how going to mount it into a 3.5" bay though, probably use elastic bands or something. It's a bit slower of course, but really noticeable when installing. With this new HTPC - silent mobo, built in GFX, Seasonic PSU,CPU at 1600 rpm (stock HSF) 20GB laptop...really silent :)

Back
Top Bottom