How easy is it to fit a clutch cable?

Associate
OP
I would like to do it myself but im in the middle of my finals and don't really need the distraction. I have replaced one on a Renault 5 and that was more difficult than i thought it should have been. after routing around it looks like the Astra's pedal attachment is even more difficult to get to.

The irony of this is that my TV died this morning and i was driving out to buy a new one when my car broke :rolleyes: gonna be an expensive month :(

Soldato
Platinum Pete said:
I would like to do it myself but im in the middle of my finals and don't really need the distraction. I have replaced one on a Renault 5 and that was more difficult than i thought it should have been. after routing around it looks like the Astra's pedal attachment is even more difficult to get to.
awkward but not difficult mate, save yourself a few quid and do it yourself.
should take you around the same time to do as a pro mechanic give or take.
Platinum Pete said:
The irony of this is that my TV died this morning and i was driving out to buy a new one when my car broke :rolleyes: gonna be an expensive month :(
this probably isn't the time to mention that well known english phrase...
"trouble usually comes in three's" :o

sorry

Soldato
should just unhook from clutch arm and pedal, connect new one pump a few time for self adjusting mechanism to take up slack (if it has one) job done

Hardest part is scrabbling under dash to unhook/attach to pedal as you have to bend you back over the seat/door sill.

Soldato
Gaygle said:
If you can find a part for cheaper then at the mechanics, can you take it to them still and have them fit it and just pay them for the labour?
yeah but they usually increase the labour charges a little to make up the difference they'd have made from getting the parts at trade price and billing you at punter price.

Soldato
I changed the clutch cable on my Mk2 Astra so many times I could do the whole thing in about 10 minutes. The Mk3 is very simmilar. The engine side is dead easy, but getting the end of the cable into the top of the clutch pedal is a bit of a nightmare, I used to recline the seat and then lie backwards on it with my head in the footwell.

Make sure you get a genuine cable rather than aftermarket one, the QH ones in particular are rubbish,

Back
Top Bottom