No compressed air? No problem

Associate
Ever needed some compressed air to clear some dust from your system only to find that you've non to hand?

That's the situation I faced today when I noticed my radiator had gotten rather dusty where the fans had been pulling air in. So, due to many places being closed on a Sunday, being too lazy to leave the house and wanting to skive off my uni revision for a while I set my mind to work on a solution.

I thought to myself, "What household object can push a decent amount of air to penetrate the core of this radiator?" Instinctively I reached for my favourite hairdryer.

hairdryer1.gif

I began blasting air on the highest setting through the side of the radiator opposite to the dust. This managed to shift a bit of the dust and grime that had collected over time, however it still left a lot to be desired. It was evident that the air coming out of the hairdryer was not 'compressed' enough to match the performance of compressed air.

So how do we go about compressing the air to an acceptable level? Why you attach a high quality precision compression device of course!

suction1.gif

If you too want one of these fantastic devices you'll need the following tools.

- Cling film
- Electrical tape/sellotape
- Cable tie
- A short length of watercooling hose/hosepipe

To attach the compression device to your hairdryer follow the simple guide below:

1. Wrap one end of the cling film round the nozzle of the hairdryer and tighten it using your chosen tape.

2. To the other of end of the cling film attach your hose, hold it in place with a cable tie and seal off with tape.

3. To avoid the cling film developing holes under the pressure of the air wrap your tape around the cling film in between the dryer nozzle and the tubing.

4. Set your hairdryer to the desired level of pressure and you're good to go.

N.B. Ensure that you set the heat setting on the hairdryer to "0" or "Low" (as you may be away cling film does not have a great resistance to heat). If you're having trouble locating this setting, or operating the hairdryer in general, consult the nearest female.

Now you need never be without compressed air again!

:p

Soldato
Doing that with the hairdryer heat element on will probably damage it. If your hairdryer doesn't have a cool/no heat setting don't use it for this.

I would have used a vaccume myself... good idea tho.

Soldato
Compressed air is also fun for burning people.. If you turn the can upside down and spray it on someone it gives them a nasty cold burn.

... Not that I condone burning people with compressed air!

Back
Top Bottom