starting to drive...

Suspended
ive been thinking recently of learning to drive and get car.. up untill now ive never really had the need/will to do all this... could anyone tell me all the various costs involved with running a car...

im 20 years old, how much should i expect to pay roughly for a small normal car...

how much are lessons, how many will i need to take about? im a fast learner i cant imagine being one of these cases where multiple tests would need to be taken...

first step is provisional and ill send away for that (40 quid) but thats all i really know.

Soldato
I'll try to help you out.

Firstly:
Lessons - Depends who you go with i've seen from £17-24 per lesson, discount if you bulk book. Average learning time is 35 hours or something as it says in this handbook i have. Some people are faster learners as others..
Theory test - £21.00
Practical test - £41.50 weekdays, £58 on weekends.

Secondly:
Car - Again, depends on what you want. First car shouldn't be a expensive one in my view, so i'd say somewhere around £250-1K or so
Road Tax - Can't remember how much this actually costs, £100+ im not sure.
Car insurance - This will probably rape you over a barrel but it depends on the car you have but im guessing anywhere from 700-1300quid.
Breakdown cover - no idea how much this costs.
Petrol - You get the picture already?

Some of my guesses are probably well off :p

But as you can see its costly but don't let it put you off!

Soldato
Serj said:
Arguably, as a young male, he is in the 'bent over a barrel' group :p

So true, welcome to the firm son :p

To get on the road I had 30 lessons, 1 theory test, 2 practical tests and it cost me £620 in total.

Then a car, well it depends what your idea of a good first car is and how much you would want to spend. Amoungst me and my friends, somewhere between £500 - £3000 seems to be the norm for things like fiestas and similar sized cars that are a few years old.

Insurance is a stinger, could be anywhere upwards of £800 depending on the car you choose, for me it was £1500 on a 1.8 mondeo :(

Then you have Tax, petrol, servicing costs etc, which cant be estimated without some sort of idea of what car you would be wanting.

Its expensive, but if at all you can do it, I would say go for it, it will make a big difference to you.

Soldato
Nazbit said:
So true, welcome to the firm son :p

To get on the road I had 30 lessons, 1 theory test, 2 practical tests and it cost me £620 in total.

Then a car, well it depends what your idea of a good first car is and how much you would want to spend. Amoungst me and my friends, somewhere between £500 - £3000 seems to be the norm for things like fiestas and similar sized cars that are a few years old.

Insurance is a stinger, could be anywhere upwards of £800 depending on the car you choose, for me it was £1500 on a 1.8 mondeo :(

Then you have Tax, petrol, servicing costs etc, which cant be estimated without some sort of idea of what car you would be wanting.

Its expensive, but if at all you can do it, I would say go for it, it will make a big difference to you.

:eek: how much did you pay per hour??

Soldato
Break down for me....

17x1 hour lessons @ £19
Theory test @ £21.00
Practical test @ £41.50
Pass Plus @ £150

Car @ £1550 (306 Dturbo)
Insurance @ £1280 (TPFT + PP)
Tax @ £180

Thats just the price for me to get going, let alone maintenance/fuels and so on.

Soldato
For me,

35 lessons - £640
tests (did 2) - £90
thoery test - £25?
pass plus - £100
advanced driving test - £75
skid pan training - £75

car (Focus 1.6 zetec) - £4000
insurance (fully comp) - £1500
tax - £170

Total - £6505