Nearly-new Focus not quite as described

Associate
Hi all,
I picked up my '54-plate Focus 2.0 TDCi Titanium on Thursday, very pleased with it indeed. The only problem is that we've just discovered that the CD player in the dash is the Sony-CD, not the Sony-6CD changer which the salesman told us it was (probably not completely his fault as he told us he was new), however:

I am a little disappointed to say the least, the 6-disc changer in the dash was quite a nice bonus and to find out that it's not actually there is somewhat annoying.

What comeback with the garage do I have? I can't just barge in and demand that they fit a Sony 6CD.... can I?! It was a Ford dealership if that makes any difference. Could threaten their head office with the Small Claims Court if I get nowhere with the franchise... "Goods sold not as described" etc

Your thoughts?

Associate
Being a main dealer, i'd say go in there and explain, and they should sort it out for you. If not bypass them and contact Ford Customer Services.

Soldato
I think that you should just take it back to them and tell them that they made a mistake. They'll probably just recognise their mistake and give you one (if that is DEFINATELY what the guy said). You sure you didn't mishear the guy and he really said "you can have an optional 6cd changer" or summit?

Associate
OP
Gaygle said:
I think that you should just take it back to them and tell them that they made a mistake. They'll probably just recognise their mistake and give you one (if that is DEFINATELY what the guy said). You sure you didn't mishear the guy and he really said "you can have an optional 6cd changer" or summit?
Nope, didn't mis-hear- he said about 4 or 5 times that the car had the 6-disc changer in the dash.

Will go and speak to them tomorrow.

Associate
you've spent £Xk on the car- am I the only person who would research the spec etc myself rather than relying on what the sales guy said? Hell, a quick look on ford's website tells you its an MP3 unit instead of 6 disc changer...

Soldato
Foghorn Leghorn said:
Go back in and speak to the original sales guy and get him to restate that it has the 6 disc changer fitted. Then move on from there. (makes it difficult for him to deny it then).

Fog

Thats what a ***** would do IMO. I hate it when customers come in and do that or come in and go mad. Just come in calm and you get what your after!!

Soldato
I'm sure if you go back to the dealer they will swap the unit for the 6 CD. However bare in mind that the Sony single CD is MP3 compatible and the 6CD is not, so if you like MP3's in the car then you are probably better sticking with what you've got.

I've got the 6CD in my Mondeo and have been looking for a reasonably priced Sony CD/MP3 as I would prefer the MP3 function.

Associate
OP
MuvverRussia said:
you've spent £Xk on the car- am I the only person who would research the spec etc myself rather than relying on what the sales guy said? Hell, a quick look on ford's website tells you its an MP3 unit instead of 6 disc changer...
OK, believe me when I say I researched, re-researched and re-re-researched the spec of every single model of the Focus range before I made my choice - I don't just go out and throw '£Xk' on a car I know nothing about.

On the other hand, I had no reason to dis-believe what the salesman said as, considering he had only started with Yeovil Ford the previous week- he was extremely knowledgeable and got it absolutely spot-on on every other aspect of the car (which is why I'm not in the least bit cross about it). At the end of the day none of us are perfect and we all make mistakes.

Now, I now have a tricky choice to make! Do I stick with a single-disc MP3 player or change to a 6-Disc audio player. Hmm!

:)

Soldato
To be honest I would go back, not blame anyone, but simply say you bought the car after being informed it had a 6 CD player.

The car they have given you does not have one, I would simply tell them to fit it or keep the car (empty threat). They will soon provide you with one :p

At the end of the day, if you bought any other item and it didnt have the features you were told it did, you would take it back on the grounds that you were mis sold goods, no reason for a car to be any different.

Associate
For sure keep the mp3 compatible unit. You won't be able to hear the difference between mp3's and CD audio in a car anyway, unless you put in squids loads of high end amp/speakers.

Soldato
Jonny ///M said:
Thats what a ***** would do IMO. I hate it when customers come in and do that or come in and go mad. Just come in calm and you get what your after!!

:confused:

So what would you rather the OP do? Go and speak to the original sales guy and give him a chance to sort it out or go and speak to the first person you find who most likely wont know what you're talking about and wont give a monkeys either?

Nobody mentioned going off on one, as you've said you rarely get what you want if you bawl someone out.

Fog

Last edited:
Soldato
IMHO the MP3 headunit is more desirable than the 6disc changer.

I'd certainly rather have it that the 6 disc changer. (note that the 6disc version will not play mp3s)

axe

axe

Suspended
I would rather have a MP3 then 6 CD you will get loads more on the MP3 CD then if you had 6 disks

Back
Top Bottom