Suns corona/halo

Associate
I caught this today.Did anybody else see it.Not sure if its the suns Corona or not .It was a complete circle around the sun and no wasn't a rainbow...

coronacopy.jpg

All comments welcome..

Associate
I've had a few alerts about geomagnetic activity lately so it could be linked to that - though I think the aurora is only visible at night so maybe not - could just be refraction of light as you get in a rainbow due to the moisture content of the air

Associate
OP
Hi
Yes it could be seen with the naked eye no problem. I had to wait for the clouds to cover the sun so I could take the picture. I have done a quick google search and it seems it is the suns corona/halo. It did completely encircle the sun and the inside sky was darker than the sky outside it. They was very little cloud about nice blue sky and had to wait for the cloud cover before taking the shot

Last edited:
Associate
It's a halo caused by ice crystals in the clouds :)

A corona occurs closer to the sun due to water droplets in the clouds.

Went to a Patrick Moore lecture a few years ago and he discussed the phenomena :)

Associate
OP
Gungnir said:
It's a halo caused by ice crystals in the clouds :)

A corona occurs closer to the sun due to water droplets in the clouds.

Went to a Patrick Moore lecture a few years ago and he discussed the phenomena :)

Then how come it was there before the clouds and after they went at least 3/4 hour I watched it. even with a clear blue sky

Associate
Just looked it up to confirm one way or the other.

Clouds involved are very thin. They just cast a haze rather than show up as identifiable clouds.

Look up 22 degree circular halo and cirrostratus clouds :)

Back
Top Bottom