When is DX10 due and will it affect the market?

Soldato
I'll be selling my current rig soon (A64 3500+, Galaxy 6800GT, 1GB RAM etc).

I was looking at getting a high end card 7900/X1900 for my new rig but it got me thinking, would it be worth splashing out in this moment of time and how will it affect the current market? In terms of peformance and the current gen of cards lasting throughout the period.

Associate
people think it will be around november in time for windows vista :D not sure other than that; rumer is that Ati are releasing a unified shader card that fully supports DX10 then as well :D

Soldato
I sold off a similar rigg A64-3500/1gig/X800 rig about 6 months or so ago but tbh it wasnt worth it I spent 1.5k and went with a X2-4400/2gig/7800-512meg beast....

barely worth it tbh didnt notice much difference.

Id suggest waiting till late summer/fall at least cos then u got AMD/Intel/Nvidia/ATI next gen stuff....

Suspended
wont it be like this forever?

i know ill wait until dx10 comes out and buy my stuff then. Then DX10 shader 1.1 comes out :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
geeza said:
wont it be like this forever?

i know ill wait until dx10 comes out and buy my stuff then. Then DX10 shader 1.1 comes out :rolleyes:

not really cos you need dx10 to take full advantage of vista, anything after that is just a bonus. If you'r going to upgrade to vista. I would wait. If your not going to upgarde then it doesn't matter when you buy, in a month's time it wont be the top of the range.

Soldato
ic1male said:
I think I am going to get an X1900 and ditch my X850 card and then wait a year/18 months until DX10 and Vista are entrenched a bit more.
thats the best way to do it
wait fro all the things to be found out, let the others beta it, when all the niggles are fixed get it.

Soldato
Like any other DirectX all it needs is a "killer" title that requires DirectX10-only. Most likely people will complain for a bit then end up upgrading anyway as more and more titles come out using it.

Soldato
I'm still using my rig until DX10/Vista.

A64 3000+ Winny
1GB CAS 2.5 RAM
x800XT 256mb
15" TFT

When overclocked to the max, this absolultely flies with most games. Granted yes, at 1024x768 it isnt really pushing it that much, but i'm sick of all these small upgrades to the technology (ie 6800 series had SM3, now x1800 and above have it)

I'm waiting till the next "major" upgrade. I dont have money to waste every 6 months, plus my edge for gaming has been lost completely now. :o

Associate
I'm personally gonna be waiting until Vista is here and the early bugs are all ironed out. Plus the new hardware will have been out a while then and the price willl have dropped. I'm happy with my system for the time being and the wait will be worth it.

Caporegime
Ill wait till theres a few thing out that are using DX10 so its worth buying a DX10 card, i can't see me upgrading to one just for Vista, afterall its only an operating system, and theres no way im gona spend £500+ just on that, then when the DX10 stuff comes out having to spend another £500+ for them as the DX10 card i picked up for Vista is old and doesn't run em all that well.

Cards come out every few months, games etc... take years, by the time theres some decent stuff out, and more than a couple of things using DX10 that its worth getting a DX10 card for, theres gona have been a load of new cards been and gone, the cards we have now have some life left yet. :)

Back
Top Bottom