Where are ones sensors best stuck? Easy now!

Associate
So im hooking up my AeroCool GateWatch, and i cant decide where to stick my sensors for the HDD and CPU, with the HDD shall i stick it to the side or the metal part of the drive? and the best i can do for the CPU sensor is stick it to one of the fins on my golden orb2 heatsink.

I want accurate readings though, so anyone got any ideas? Oh and as for my GPU lol, no idea at all!

Soldato
Fornowagain kindly provided a great shot of probably the easiest place to put the CPU sensor:

probe.jpg

But as Jokster said - Do Not let it get between the CPU and the Cooler! You have been warned! I've done it like the picture and it's pretty good - comes within a degree or so of the bios temp - not sure which is then more accurate - but it's good enough for my needs :D (I used Arctic Adhesive, from the makes of AS5 - worked a treat!)

For you HDD - yeah - stick it to the metal top - again, a good enough indication of what's needed!

Associate
OP
cavemanoc said:
Fornowagain kindly provided a great shot of probably the easiest place to put the CPU sensor:

But as Jokster said - Do Not let it get between the CPU and the Cooler! You have been warned! I've done it like the picture and it's pretty good - comes within a degree or so of the bios temp - not sure which is then more accurate - but it's good enough for my needs :D (I used Arctic Adhesive, from the makes of AS5 - worked a treat!)

For you HDD - yeah - stick it to the metal top - again, a good enough indication of what's needed!

Done and Done! Thanks dudes, and that pic was ideal cavemanoc! Everyone mentions AC5 but im using AC MX-1!?! Is that the same near enough as AC5 as everyone here seems to use it but on arctic's site it only mentions 1,2 and mx1. Whats the limit i should be looking at for my x2 at load?

Soldato
Foehammer2003 said:
Done and Done! Thanks dudes, and that pic was ideal cavemanoc! Everyone mentions AC5 but im using AC MX-1!?! Is that the same near enough as AC5 as everyone here seems to use it but on arctic's site it only mentions 1,2 and mx1. Whats the limit i should be looking at for my x2 at load?

MX-1 is a sillicone based thermal paste, and AC5 is a silver oxide based thermal paste. They both do the same thing though, bridge small gaps in the IHS and heatsink for best thermal transfer.

AC5 is rated as the best thermal paste but I would say a difference of maybe 3 degrees difference would be noticable between thermal pastes when applied properly.

60 degrees is the absolute max I would let any K8 chip reach, although the newcastle 110nm cores could probably go abit higher. Not much though.

Associate
OP
Akasa ShinEtsu Thermal Interface Pads (OA-000-AK)

Now they look cool, if only i had seen them before, would have been so much easier! Still tis done now, and seems to be the right temp 32c idle! :)

That thermal epoxy looks scary though! Permanant adhesive! :eek:

Soldato
^^ what he said - have heard several people use this (about 50/50) and it works a treat - personally I'd rather know it's not going to shift, but hey... each to their own! :D

Back
Top Bottom