Random Thought - Scalpels

Soldato
Hey guys,

I was talking to my mum and my aunt has to get an op, while i awake and it got me thinking, i'd be pooping myself getting an op, nevermind getting one while awake.

Anyway, they seem to tear/cut the skin with scalpels and whenever i have seen them on TV, they look like they don't even push the blade againstthe skin at all.

How sharp are they and do they hurt, aspecially while being awake. I know this is a bit random, but i would love an answer. Best of luck to my aunt too, who his having a few things replaced.

Mic

Mic

Soldato
Scalperls are extremely sharp, i use them for model making and beleive me, you do not want to slip while using them.

Permabanned
Whenever a scalpel is involved, I'm sure you would be under some type of anaesthetic, so how much it hurts can't really be answered.

As for being sharp, yes.. very sharp. They need to make accurate incisions, and they can't do that with a blunt object.

Soldato
there as sharp as razer blades, mainly because there so thin, the bevel is so fine because they are disposable because thin bevelled blades break easily, they are as sharp as you think :p

Soldato
OP
Mic said:
Scalperls are extremely sharp, i use them for model making and beleive me, you do not want to slip while using them.

Are the model making ones the same as medical ones? I have no plans of using one, i hate sharp objects, i have an habit of cutting my bread in half rather then triangles.

Permabanned
chris_r said:
Are the model making ones the same as medical ones? I have no plans of using one, i hate sharp objects, i have an habit of cutting my bread in half rather then triangles.

Medical scalpels might be made of a more sterile material, I don't know.

Either way, scalpels are very sharp instruments.

Mic

Mic

Soldato
chris_r said:
Id say they would be the same kind of thing. But im sure the medical ones meet certain guidlines for metal used/how they are cleaned etc.

Soldato
Mic said:
Id say they would be the same kind of thing. But im sure the medical ones meet certain guidlines for metal used/how they are cleaned etc.

Scalpals arent generally cleaned, they have been made to be disposable now.

KaHn

Mic

Mic

Soldato
KaHn said:
Scalpals arent generally cleaned, they have been made to be disposable now.

KaHn
Ah so they are the same as mine. It uses disposable heads, but the handle is steel. And its got a bit of weight to ot

Soldato
OP
Mic said:
Ah so they are the same as mine. It uses disposable heads, but the handle is steel. And its got a bit of weight to ot

I decided to Google a bit, i quickly learnt the modeling ones are practicly the same only the medical ones have a flat grip where has modeling ones may have a 'hand friendly grip'

Also, it's good are are disposable, the thought of using a second, third etc used one makes me cringe cleaned or not

Jet

Jet

Soldato
Well, i slipped once when fooling around with my dads scalpel and as the thing sliced through my finger I didn't feel a thing. The blade was too fine. Hurt like hell in a few minutes and it took a while for the blood to stop.

Associate
They are very sharp. I`m not sure how but i managed 2 years of dissection without cutting myself :D . They are extremely easy to put through anything apart from bone really. Very little pressure is needed to pierce the skin.

How you use scalpels in model making? Is it to clear the bur (sp?) on the edges?

*EDIT* Sadly i dont think you could cut a man in half with a scalpel (as it sucks for cutting bone) :(

But a scalpel could easily cut a bullet in half :D

Soldato
PikeyPriest said:
They are very sharp. I`m not sure how but i managed 2 years of dissection without cutting myself :D . They are extremely easy to put through anything apart from bone really. Very little pressure is needed to pierce the skin.

How you use scalpels in model making? Is it to clear the bur (sp?) on the edges?

*EDIT* Sadly i dont think you could cut a man in half with a scalpel (as it sucks for cutting bone) :(

what about a tonne of scapels taped together :p

Mic

Mic

Soldato
PikeyPriest said:

Lots of things really, cutting out parts precily, cutting off the burs as you said. Cutting out decals, using the edge of a blunt razor to lift/place decals etc

Associate
chris_r said:
I decided to Google a bit, i quickly learnt the modeling ones are practicly the same only the medical ones have a flat grip where has modeling ones may have a 'hand friendly grip'

Also, it's good are are disposable, the thought of using a second, third etc used one makes me cringe cleaned or not
Well they wouldnt have used fairy liquid and warm water believe me.
It would involve gamma rays and harmful bacteria begging for mercy :)

Back
Top Bottom