• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU - Problem I think!?

Associate
ok so here is the thing, had a computer running

ASROCK Motherboard Skt A
AMD Athlon 2400 +
1 GB RAM
NVIDIA Geforce FX 5600
80 GB Hard drive...
400W PSU

problem is this, it was working fine then all of a sudden it just stopped booting up, turns on power light comes on, HDD light stays on and my monitor says no signal been received. also the mouse does not light up (laser on bottom) no beeps from motherboard and the computer does not boot.

Tried -

Unplugging all ATA devices and letting it boot
using the onboard graphics
Unplugging ram (this caused the contiuous beep Showing that no ram was present)

after this I think the only possible thing it could be is the processor, any ideas ?

Last edited:
Associate
Ah the joys of ASROCK socket A motherboards, happened to me back when i had one. The only way i found to fix it was:

1) Put clear bios jumper into clear position and hold power button in until it switches itself off, then put bios clear jumper back to normal

2) Unplug PSU and take out battery on motherboard, then hold in power button until all power is drained from PSU capacitors

3) After about 5 mins with no power put the battery back in and replug PSU. Hopefully it's problem solved. If not then must be something more serious

I was in your position also, and just by luck and desperation discovered the above routine. Everytime i unplugged my PC from the mains i had to do this to get it working again. Thankfully i am no longer stuck with that motherboard, gave it a good kicking once i bought my new pc.

Associate
OP
I have actually bought a brand new Motherboard, unfortunatly only could find an asrock one ..... lol and it's doing the same thing

Associate
There is a similar problem with the dell GX270's and it is caused by some of the capacitors on the motherboard have buldged or burst. Probably not the same problem but maybe worth looking at the top of your capacitors and making sure they are all alright

Associate
OP
tedaC said:
There is a similar problem with the dell GX270's and it is caused by some of the capacitors on the motherboard have buldged or burst. Probably not the same problem but maybe worth looking at the top of your capacitors and making sure they are all alright

Will do, keep the ideas coming though guys please

Caporegime
Gabriel said:

Could well be a dead CPU then, can you test it in someone who has a socket A setup?

Take the battery out of your mobo overnight, put it back in, clear CMOS for a minute, then turn on PSU and power up, see if that does the trick.

Back
Top Bottom