New Nintendo console review thingy !!

Soldato
I got this from some gaming website or other, talking about when they showed someone at TIME magazine WARIO WARE !!!!! .....

-----------------------------------------------

When Nintendo first showed off its unique controller for the Nintendo Wii, the first teaser trailer showed people doing all sorts of strange things with it. Conducting music, chopping vegetables, cooking, etc. The first game I immediately though of was Warioware. With its off-the-wall 5 second mini-games, Warioware would be the perfect game to showcase the interactivity of the new controller. The new issue of Time should be hitting subscribers any day now, and they have some hands-on time with some games. Among them are Warioware, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and Tennis. Below is an excerpt from the article. We suggest buying the May 15 issue at newsstands for the entire article. Special thanks to Neogaf forum user FoneBone for posting the following:
"Nintendo gave TIME the first look at its new controller--but before I pick it up, Miyamoto suggests that I remove my jacket. That turns out to be a good idea. The first game I try--Miyamoto walks me through it, which to a gamer is the rough equivalent of getting to trade bons mots with Jerry Seinfeld--is a Warioware title (Wario being Mario's shorter, fatter evil twin). It consists of dozens of manic five-second mini games in a row. They're geared to the Japanese gaming sensibility, which has a zany, cartoonish, game-show bent. In one hot minute, I use the controller to swat a fly, do squat-thrusts as a weight lifter, turn a key in a lock, catch a fish, drive a car, sauté some vegetables, balance a broom on my outstretched hand, color in a circle and fence with a foil. And yes, dance the hula. Since very few people outside Nintendo have seen the new hardware, the room is watching me closely.

It's a remarkable experience. Instead of passively playing the games, with the new controller you physically perform them. You act them out. It's almost like theater: the fourth wall between game and player dissolves. The sense of immersion--the illusion that you, personally, are projected into the game world--is powerful. And there's an instant party atmosphere in the room. One advantage of the new controller is that it not only is fun, it looks fun. When you play with an old-style controller, you look like a loser, a blank-eyed joystick fondler. But when you're jumping around and shaking your hulamaker, everybody's having a good time.

After Warioware, we play scenes from the upcoming Legend of Zelda title, Twilight Princess, a moody, dark (by Nintendo's Disneyesque standards) fantasy adventure. Now I'm Errol Flynn, sword fighting with the controller, then aiming a bow and arrow, then using it as a fishing rod, reeling in a stubborn virtual fish. The third game, and probably the most fun, is also the simplest: tennis. The controller becomes a racket, and I'm smacking forehands and stroking backhands. The sensors are fine enough that you can scoop under the ball to lob it, or slice it for spin. At the end, I don't so much put the controller down as have it pried from my hands."

In only a few short days we will have full details on all of the games coming out for Wii. It's nice to see Zelda: Twilight Princess take the new control scheme and run with it. Simple actions like sword fighting, fishing, and shooting arrows promise to bring exciting and new experiences never before offered on a console. We'll have live updates from Nintendo's press conference on Tuesday.

Soldato
WarioWareWii (;)). How did it not occur to me that such a title could be sheer awesomeness. The game is fantastic enough on the Gamecube/GBA/DS, I can only imagine the fun with a controller like the new console will have.

EDIT: Got a link to the story? Want to show a friend, but I'm not sure he'll believe a random forum link.

XPE

XPE

Soldato
Dam you moonpie :p

Reading that makes me feeling like an 10 year old counting down the days to x-mas :D

hope it come out sooner rather than later.

does this mean that Zelda is a launch title ?

Last edited:
Soldato
The GC failed to grab my attention well enough for me to buy one. But this really does sound interesting. With gameplay like that it really doesn't need to compete with Xbox360 and PS3.

Soldato
What about kids in small rooms where the TV is right up against the end of the bed, or kids rooms featuring a large number of kids and a small amount of available space?

I wouldn't want people swinging around in the lounge either, with fragile objects littered throughout the place.

I like the idea, but until I see it used in practice actually in people's houses I'll still be sceptical.

Back
Top Bottom