Car suggestions for the missus - 1.5k

Soldato
Ok, the missus's corsa is on its last legs (at last!) so its time for a replacement.

The main requirements are... (not mine)

The end of the car must end at the rear windscreen (so no boot at all)
It must be very low insurance.
It must be very fuel efficient.
It must be cheap to maintain
It mustn't be too old
It mustn't be too high mileage

Plus I'll add one. I mustn't feel a complete tit when I have to drive it.

Cars I've suggested so far are a

Xsara - has boot so no
Almera - maybe, but a bit big.
Rover 25 - Her favourite at the moment
Colt - worried about age / value.

What do you think of this.... after you've stopped laughing. The owners obviously a tasteless moron, but the engine looks immaculate. Obviously all the tat will be removed, including the turbo sticker :rolleyes: and the wheels will be back to silver, but underneath it could be a decent motor?

We're going to take a look at this tomorrow evening. I know everyone goes on about how crap rovers are, but my parents own one of these and I can't fault it for a cheap runaround.

So, can you think of any other cars to look at.

Man of Honour
Nissan micra TBH, can't really go wrong with em.. Very good little cars. Most girls like the look as well. And fit all the requirments.

Soldato
I do get a little tired with the constant Rover bashing on here

The 25 is a good car and very cheap now - £1,500 for a 2001 car is a bargain. It's the best out of your selection

I'm always a little wary of distastefully modified cars as it looks like they've been abused by boy racers

Associate
In the words of Harry Enfield.
"If I won the lottery I would have a big house with a big swimming pool, an en-suite golf course, a Range Rover for me and a Nissan Micra for her..."

Wise words indeed.

Soldato
OP
Hmmm. Just been looking at micras. It just looks too much like the corsa. I've been scarred for life by that car.

Plus, I'd feel a bit stupid driving it. It is very much a girls car.

I remember I had one as a courtesy car years ago and I did want to put a paper bag over my head. Plus I remember having to rev the absolute nuts off it to get it to go anywhere.

Don
Bug One said:
Plus, I'd feel a bit stupid driving it. It is very much a girls car.

I remember I had one as a courtesy car years ago and I did want to put a paper bag over my head. Plus I remember having to rev the absolute nuts off it to get it to go anywhere.

Surely, if this car is for your missus then the above points are non-issues?

Soldato
OP
If this was left entirely up to my girlfriends heart, she'd get this.

However she has to do a lot of mileage at the moment, and as she's a student, wouldn't be able to afford to run it.

We are always going back home to see our friends and family. There's no way I can get her insured on my car and I can always borrow one of my dads, so we take hers. However she doesn't like driving, so I always have to drive.

Anyhow, she likes the rover. I'm the one trying to think of alternatives.

Soldato
Bug One said:
Because there are only a couple within 60 miles for around £1500, and I dont want to limit our car search to just one or two cars.

Ah - that makes sense

How about the Mk3 200? It's the same car - the 25 was the facelifted version with revised suspension, new bumper, new lights and new door trims to name a few changes

Soldato
OP
I think if I got a 200 I'd always feel if we held out a bit we could have got a 25.

On the other hand we would probably be getting a good 200, versus a crummy 25.

Well, I'll look at this one tonight, see if its runs ok, usual checks, then I'll go home do an HPi check and if thats ok, I'll make an offer. We're not really in a hurry to buy.

Man of Honour
Bug One said:
I think if I got a 200 I'd always feel if we held out a bit we could have got a 25.

Does it matter? They are the same - put a 25 badge on the back and fit some twin headlights if it bothers you that much.

Back
Top Bottom