the curse of Wisdom Teeth

Associate
im 18, 19 on the 28th may, and apprently my wisdom teeth are coming through! been told to expect them around about now and expect a bit of pain to but the pain is so pro longed and the temp relief that co-codamol or amoxicillin give is just not enough! im only making this thread to take my mind of the pain!!

anyone had them out?

ease my pain in anyway pleasee!!!

Associate
The bone grew between one of my wisdom teeth and the next tooth so they had to crunch and file down the jaw bone they also had to slip a stitch in :)

Associate
:( dont talk to me about teeth and dentists i just spent £2000+ on my teeth ( and they feel no different to before :/ ) a real temporary pain relief but one that works well is "clove oil" can be bought from most stores i.e boots superdrug ect..

or just become an alcoholic until they have finished growing :p

Associate
Oh nasty, I can sympathise with you on this one. I am in pain too however mine started coming through at your age and unfortunately still are (im 23yrs) I have had a nightmare with the pain for a week or two every 3-4 months. Its not nice and sometimes worth considering having them taken out. Mine are not having to come outyet as they are not impacted, if yours are def recommend thinking about extraction, although the thought of that is scary :eek:

Associate
I think in most cases its local but can be general. Im no expert though. Although I am a total wimp and was scared when i thought mine might have to come out. The pain doesnt always mean they will need extracting. Mine really hurt and ive had infection and absesses and they are fine just probs while they are coming through. I now have my top 2 through and they never hurt all that much.My bottom one is the one causing the probs and the other has not even surfaced. Stupid things! Good luck :p

Associate
I had my far back lower right side wisdom tooth out under general anathetic (sp?) as it was too far back and at too much of a funny angle to work any other way.

My wisdom tooth had started to grow off at an angle, and grow 'forwards' - not a pleasant experience, but after having it out, it was one of the best things I think I have had done.

Associate
OP
well from what ive gathered the pain im experiancing could be normal compared to what youve all said in your posts! i think im only saying this after i demolished my pills about 10mins ago and there kicking in, ask me in about 4 hours and ill be tearing my hair out again!!

Man of Honour
Mine came through when I was 15/16 - it was painless, until they started to push against my other teeth. I still have them and they're nice and strong. I had to have 4 little pre-molars removed to give them space, but it was either that or a huge op. I thought having 4 teeth pulled out would be easier - I was right, it was plain sailing.

Soldato
My ones seem to have minds of their own when they come though, bottom left is through, top left is through but the right ones are about halfway. Last couple of weeks the right ones have been coming through a bit more, I guess I sympathise with babies teething now :p (23 btw)

Soldato
i've got crowded teeth at the front, which has lead to loads of space at the back for these monsters, had light pain but nothing unbearable, got 1 through completely, one half through and another half through at a bit of an angle, but it should be fine depending on the angle of the last one to come through :)

just need to get some fillings done which lack of funds seems to be putting off at the moment

Associate
My wisdom tooth has started to come through on my right side...if there is no pain/problems is it ok to just leave them in then? Once they start coming through should you see a dentist straight away, or is it fine for now?

Caporegime
Still have mine:p and im 33 yrs old but other than a few times ive never had any problems with them. Only time i have a problem is when i havent brushed my teeth for the day but thats only happened a few times...not a usual thing i do.

Although i was told by my dentist that if i wanted them removed they could do so but id have to go to the hospital and its quite likely that they might have to break my jaw as the wisdom teeth of mine are in a funny position.

Tbh i dont fancy having my jaw broken in order to get rid of some teeth lol :p...my dad had his removed and they had to break his jaw in a few places before they could get them out. Funny thing is that they were removed my some pre-med students :eek:...poor ole dad...cant remember as i was too young...just something he told me a while back.

Caporegime
I had mine out under general. Don't know if they dislocated my jaw, but it was sore after. Had to have them out, as the orthodontist had just finished 3 years of brace work on my teeth and didn't want my wisdom teeth spoiling it. Have only got 24 teeth in my mouth, as had 4 out before the braces too!

Soldato
Freefaller said:
Mine came through when I was 15/16 - it was painless, until they started to push against my other teeth. I still have them and they're nice and strong. I had to have 4 little pre-molars removed to give them space, but it was either that or a huge op. I thought having 4 teeth pulled out would be easier - I was right, it was plain sailing.

Mine also came through when I was 15/16ish, Only pain I had was when they started to come through, pain for like a day or something :confused: - When they "shown them selfs" lol . I didnt need any teeth removing for them either :D

Associate
My lower wisdom teeth are impacted, so at a 45 degree angle pointing down into my jaw if you know what I mean. I dont get any pain from them, but have to be careful about getting food caught under the gum they're poking out of. I got something caught under there once, hurt really badly & was talking like Marlon Brando for a few days - could barely close my mouth with the swollen gums.

As others have said, I dont fancy having them out as my jaw would definitely have to be broken & there's be a load of exposed gum left - or at least that's true in my overactive dentist fearing imagination :)

Back
Top Bottom